Sunday, February 02, 2020

Kidney Saga part 8

After a pretty full Tuesday, I fell asleep about 7pm and woke at 9pm when a lifeflight helicopter landed right past my fourth story window. The night nurse came in just after to deliver my nightly medicines. Then I fell asleep again and didn't wake up for a full nine hours. The morning nurse said I responded to the nurses doing vitals, but I didn't remember any of it. I just adjusted and slept right through. I felt so good in the morning, because I haven't slept well in months. Who would have thought a night in the hospital would be better than many at home?

Wednesday morning, the main doctor visited and let me know I would have the stress test on Thursday, and I would be in the hospital at least another day after that.

I was almost hyper after a good night's sleep, but managed to play around on my phone for quite some time, setting up a couple of playlists on my music app and playing games until I was sick of them. My main hospital playlist included: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, Take Me Home by Phil Collins, Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News from The Wiz and All I Need Is A Miracle from Mike and the Mechanics. Just some good titles, I thought. The other playlist was instrumentals I could use to drown out noise from the hallway.

The nurses asked if I wanted a shower, and I immediately agreed, but I had to have an IV drip first, which was going to take a couple of hours. They set up the bathroom, but I had a long wait that included a quick visit from my sister. One of the nurses later told me she saw my sister walking down the hall and did a double-take, thinking it was me.

The internet at the hospital was pretty flaky, to the point where I sometimes would only get about five minutes of online time before it logged me out and I had to relog. Because of that, I didn't bother asking Eric to bring my laptop. If I had, I might have attempted to do some gaming on Wednesday, as that good night's sleep meant I was feeling almost "normal".

Of course, normality doesn't last. When I finally took my shower, I was surprised at how much energy it took. I was really exhausted after getting out, and had to rest. It was a surprise to me. I tend to do things when I feel well and ignore the potential consequences just because I'm so determined to actually get things done. But usually I don't feel nearly as wiped as I did after a simple shower in the hospital.