Friday, April 10, 2020

Kidney Saga part 65

Oh, yesterday was so much better than Wednesday.

It didn't start out so well. I had insomnia, and was still feeling mentally stressed. But one of my favorite Twitch streamers got online, and I was able to relax a little watching the cheeriness.

I did make a dumb mistake, but I was able to fix it. I needed some insulin from the fridge, and was supposed to tell Eric to get it before he started teaching. When I realized I'd forgotten, I decided to risk the stairs to get it myself. It took some energy, but I was able to go downstairs entirely by myself, gather stuff, and get back upstairs. Carrying stuff upstairs is still beyond my abilities, so I had to set the items on the steps in front of me, step up, then repeat.

One of the items I retrieved was a sippy cup that Eric got for me right before I went to the hospital the second time. I wanted something I could grab while I was in bed and take a sip from without spilling, since my mouth was so dry all the time. As it turns out, the sippy cup holds just the right amount of liquid to go with my liquid restriction, and slows my drinking enough that I can quench my thirst a bit better.

The successful excursion downstairs definitely lightened my mood. It was followed by a phone call from my nephrologist's office to set up a virtual appointment via Zoom on Monday. I realized the nephrologist must have seen my blood test results and wanted to speak to me about them, so I waited and, sure enough, the results showed up in my online chart only a few minutes later.

I skimmed through the test results, then looked more closely, and I realized that just about all the numbers had moved in a positive direction. Some of them had moved quite some ways, while some had moved just a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in danger, but dialysis is even farther away. Also, these results are from a blood test taken RIGHT before my last infusion, so we don't know what effect the new infusion will have. But still... good news is good news!

I honestly felt like dancing after reading the results. I couldn't, of course, but I wanted to.

I slept away much of the afternoon, to counteract the insomnia. I woke up in time for a lovely dinner made by Eric - an excellent kidney-friendly tuna noodle casserole. I ended up going to bed a little late because I was reading. But it turned out to be a good day. Now today I have a few tasks I hope to accomplish, but I just have to remind myself not to push too hard and overdo it. I think I managed yesterday very well, so let's hope I can manage today.

Full Kidney Saga --- Start Here --- Kidney Wish List --- GoFundMe