Sunday, April 19, 2020

Kidney Saga part 73

I am still much weaker than I think I am.

I actually feel pretty good for a person suffering from kidney failure and slightly uncontrolled diabetes. I'm not in much pain, just mostly discomfort. I can move around pretty well, although I'm using the walker. The medications are still doing odd things to me (I hate the mood swings and memory dumps from the prednisone, but I'm almost used to them now). But overall, I feel like I'm doing fine.

Then I try to accomplish something and *BOOM* it's brought home to me that I'm not as fine as I want to be.

Yesterday, it was lunch. I've been going downstairs to get my own lunch for a few days, trying to build up some endurance and give hubby-Eric a break. I had a particular leftover in mind, and got downstairs and started to prepare it. But as I stood in the kitchen, trying to get stuff out of the fridge, I found myself getting really tired and unable to complete the task because I just didn't have quite enough energy. Eric had to come downstairs and finish it for me.

I thought I was strong enough, but I wasn't. And I've got to remember that I am still very sick. I have four more chemo infusions to go to finish the course of treatment. I still have to work on the diabetes control. I still have to be tapered off some medications. I'm not yet healthy. And being impatient about it isn't going to help me heal.

In other news, hubby-Eric continues to expand his cooking repertoire. He's always been a good cook, but yesterday he made low-sodium spaghetti sauce so I could have proper spaghetti. It was really good, although my garlic restriction meant it needed slightly more seasoning. Eric has been doing a lot of work in the kitchen, which is one reason I want to help him out and do some of my own cooking.

Well, tomorrow is infusion day, so today I'm going to try to rest and not stress about it. This might be easier said than done, but I don't really have a choice. I just hope it only takes one try to find a vein tomorrow. My arms are healing up slowly, but it would be nice to not have more bruises from missed attempts.

Full Kidney Saga --- Start Here --- Kidney Wish List --- GoFundMe

0 comments: