Saturday, October 03, 2020

Kidney Saga part 122

I want to thank people.

I want to thank people, but I don't have the words to thank them enough. I want to thank the folks who supported us financially, and the folks like Anna and Elayne who sent socks and other needed objects. The person who, very early in my sickness, sent me a $50 Amazon gift card that literally kept me clothed. The folks who bought a humidifier, and the bidet. The folks who contributed to my GoFundMe, including the streamers on Sophie's channel. My sister-in-law, who not only gave me stuff to help but also provided advice and calming information.

I want to give you all the hugs and kisses and praise and happiness.

You helped us. You helped us a lot, during times that were really bad. Life has improved dramatically for us, with Eric now employed and my health slowly improving. I don't have enough thanks to give to everyone who deserves thanks. I hope I am past the worst of it, and can just concentrate on healing now. But I wouldn't have made it this far without all the support I got from other people.

Right. Health update time.

I'm off the Prednisone now, and we're watching to see if I relapse at all. I have a rheumatology appointment next week, and we'll see what adjustments need to be made to the HCQ (Hydroxychloroquine). My hands and knees both hurt a lot frequently, so I hope there's some solution that will help make life a little more tolerable. I've been using a combination of Tylenol and compression gloves to keep the pain at bay, but neither are perfect.

My hair has gone curly. Not as curly as some folks, but far more curly than I'm used to. I find it terribly annoying, but there's not a lot I can do about it right now. If not for the pandemic, I'd find someone who can style my hair and get a cut that would minimize the annoyance. But as it is I have only two real options: cut it short or let it grow. At this point I'm going to let it grow a bit and see if it starts to behave. If not, I may go ahead and chop it.

Still no issues with the diabetes. My blood sugar levels are extremely stable and normal. It's actually kind of surreal in some ways. I got used to worrying about making sure I took insulin, now I'm still testing my levels but not jamming a needle in my stomach before each meal.

My hot flashes are still an issue, but I read a study that said the scent of lavender actually helps reduce the intensity of hot flashes. So I ordered some lavender shower bombs and when they arrived left them next to my computer chair, filling the air with lavender scent. I don't know if it was the placebo effect, but my hot flashes that night were both less intense and far fewer in number. If my house smells like lavender for the next few years, you know why.

My biggest discomfort at the moment is getting up from my chair or the couch. Both are just a little too low, and my knees hurt fiercely when I stand. I'm looking into options for raising the chair a few inches (it's an Ikea Poang Chair). I could probably easily raise the couch with some store-bought risers, as well. It's just a matter of getting the risers for the couch and figuring out how to get or make risers for the chair.

I've been doing very well with my short daily exercise session on the recumbent bike. I've gotten up to 15 minutes a day. I'm not allowing myself to push it too much, with my daily hard goal set at 5 minutes and my hopeful goal at 15. I've also told myself that I can take a day off each week if needed. So far, keeping the goals easy has helped me reach the higher goals.

Inkwell is healthy again, and is restless and wants to play or cuddle all the time. I indulge him as much as I'm able.

Hubby-Eric is still settling into his new teaching job, but it appears online teaching really fits him. He spends a LOT of time doing research and prepping, and I can listen to his classes sometimes (he still has a classroom teacher voice that carries throughout the house). I have heard him calling students individually and he has conferences with fellow teachers on a regular basis. Assuming a child is suited to online learning, it appears this company is a pretty good outfit to be taught by. I know Eric is putting in as much work as he did when he had a physical classroom, and seems as interested and concerned about his students around the state as he was with his local students. If only we could get faster internet out here, it would be perfect.

So I am going to go and count my blessings again. And send good vibes and thanks to everyone who has helped me the past nine months of this nightmarish year.


0 comments: