Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 21 July 2004 - Part III

Seaguy #3: As Chubby might have said, "Da fug?" I might say, "some very cool ideas in search of a story." Well... it's confusing. I'll give it that. And the art is simply gorgeous. That too. I think I know what happened, but I'm not convinced I know what the writer intended. For the art alone, then, this gets a mild recommendation. I've read better stories, if not stranger ones. 3 1/2 starfish

Demo #8: This one is hard. Really hard. I'm not sure if my initial reaction is going to be enough to write about. Partly because my initial reaction is NOT something I'm inclined to share. If I have one quibble with the story itself, it's the reaction of Nick. Picking up the tape, searching through a drawer in the same room to find a walkman to play it on... it seems unlikely to me for a variety of reasons. The rest of it I can follow along ok, but that seems just too much. I guess I have one other question: Jess made the tape, but did she know what would happen when Nick played it? I had a strong reaction to this story, but I think I'll probably just sit out of any discussion on it. 4 starfish

Ursula: Wow. I wasn't convinced by the solicit. I wasn't even convinced by the high praise from other bloggers looking forward to it. No, what convinced me to try it was Fábio Moon bothering to come to my blog and telling me I would enjoy it. He was right. I really enjoyed it. It's a very different kind of book, with enchanting characters and an amazing if slightly abstruse narrative. Anyone with a bit of romance in the heart will enjoy it, whether they are a child or an adult. As for the artwork... WOW. This is fantastic! Clean art, very strong storytelling, good design. Everything I like in my art. So go snag a copy and take a look. Right now, if you have the time. Once you've read it, come back here and tell me what you think. This is one of those instant classics, in my opinion. I'd like to hear your opinion on this one. 4 1/2 starfish

Reviews for this week: Conan, Usagi Yojimbo, DC Presents Hawkman, The New Frontier, Green Lantern, Another Nail, Birthright, JLA, Amazing Spider-Man, Powers, Futurama, Samurai Executioner, and the reprint of the Classic Illustrated Jr Wizard of Oz.