Saturday, July 31, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 July 2004 - Part III

DC: The New Frontier #5: If I said that this issue is my favorite of this series so far, how many people will roll their eyes and say "of course"? Hey, I like the series and all, but having Aquaman show up just made it so much better for me. After all, Artie has to be doing something in this universe, and the nature of the baddie only makes his involvement very likely. I could've used a lot more of him, of course, but I certainly like the ambiguity of his appearance. Oh yeah, and the rest of the book was pretty good too. I like the developing J'onn bit more than most. And quite the cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to the next issue with a lot more anticipation now. 4 starfish

JLA: Another Nail #3: This is going to read much better all at once. I already enjoyed this issue more than the first two as far as the story goes. The art has been incredible all along. Any story that tries to contain the entire DCU is going to be a hard read, but I'm afraid at times this one was a little harder than it should have been. 3 1/2 starfish

DC Presents: Hawkman #1: I guess I just don't like tribute stories that read like tibute stories. The first story felt forced to me. The second one flowed more naturally and I enjoyed it more, but these have almost all been misses for me so far. Perhaps I set my standards too high. 3 1/2 starfish

Amazing Spider-Man #69/510: I suppose if I knew a little tiny bit more about Peter Parker's history, I would know the answer to this question: (spoilers)(end spoilers) Even though I'm not certain, I'm definitely shocked by the revelation. Again, the art still isn't working for me. As I get used to it I'm sure I'll like it more, but I miss Romita. Anyway, this one is worth a look. 4 starfish

Still to review: Conan, Usagi Yojimbo, Powers, and Samurai Executioner.