Thursday, August 05, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 4 August 2004 - Part I

Oh good grief. I missed something very important in my Flipping Through Previews post. Yup. Completely forgot about it. I think I had noticed it, but I was so busy checking out everything else, I forgot to mention that Teen Titans #17 starts a 3-issue story arc that includes "Aquawoman". Buzz has it that this is Lorena ten years down the line.

Anyway, that's my D'oh bit before starting this week's reviews.

Books this week include some superhero books, a horror book, a science fiction book, and two westerns. Westerns! That's right, westerns. Ok, one is set in another universe that includes robots, but it's still a western. I don't know how long it will take me to review them, but here's the first reviews:

Thor #83: I give up. This is the last issue David is getting anyway. No rating because I got only three pages into it and stopped reading.

Ant #3: Again, this is not the best comic book ever written or drawn. The dialogue is a bit stilted, like people speaking lines instead of people just speaking. The art is good, but not perfect. Ant herself is a little too bad-girl for my tastes. However, the story is compelling... and the story behind the story is also something. I still cannot give it a high recommendation, but I liked it. 3 1/2 starfish

Batman: The 12-Cent Adventure: Nice set-up. Pretty much the whole issue of from the point of view of Spoiler, a character hubby-Eric enjoys but I'm only mildly interested in. From the point of view of a jumping on point, though, this one worked well. I'm still not interested in the long crossover story arc about to start in the Batman books, but if I was into Batman much at all, this story would have done its job of drawing me in. 3 1/2 starfish

Birds of Prey #71: A lot better than the last issue. The boring plotline seemed more coherant this issue, and the not-boring plotline got a little more play. I like the guest appearance of Vixen, a character I knew almost nothing about until I read this issue. Good stuff overall. 4 starfish

Still to review: Star Trek Key Collection, DC Comics Presents Superman, Justice League Adventures, Swamp Thing, The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, and Daisy Kutter.