Saturday, September 04, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 1 September 2004 - Part I

Digital Webbing Presents #17: Six stories. The first one didn't impress me as I could hardly tell what was happening with the artwork, but the second story had no such problem. Like the first "Bad Elements" story I read, this one introduces the universe nicely within the context of the story. I left it wanting more story. The third story was also pretty good, with a large universe feel to it. The fourth story's ending really annoyed me, although as a story it worked very well. I think that was part of the annoyance. I was beginning to really like the characters. The last two stories were one-pagers and were ok. All in all, the majority of the book was pretty good. Definitely worth a read if you can score a copy. 3 1/2 starfish

Noble Causes #1: Yah! The book is back! If you haven't been following the story, it's about a normal woman named Liz Donnelly who marries into a superhero family. And it's good. Really good. This issue keeps up the fun from the earlier series and gets the new one off to a powerful start. If you are at all a follower of intricate continuity laden stories and want something that is both fun to read and fun to learn about, pick this book up. 4 starfish

The Oz/Wonderland Chronicles Preview Comic: I got this for Eric via Buy Me Toys.com. This is a preview with some script pages, some sample pages, and sketches from a new series due on in 2005 that features Dorothy and Alice grown up as college students who think their faintly remembered adventures in other realms were just daydreams. From what little is available of the script, this is going to be one really cool book. Anything that has Ruggedo afraid of Humpty Dumpty is amazing enough to impress me. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this series. Recommended. 4 starfish

Still to review: Justice League Unlimited, Birds of Prey, Swamp Thing, Avengers, and Marvel Age Fantastic Four.

0 comments: