Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Massive Linkdump and Bookmarks Cleanup

Welcome to Geek City!

CBR Wizard World Photo Parade Sunday.

Lying in the Gutters has an interesting link to a possible swipe of a Mandrake comic by... Daleks?

Huh. A freelance photographer distributed by Reuters altered at least two images, and badly, too. His entire library of work has now been withdrawn. When I say "badly", I mean really badly. I could've photoshopped a better picture than that, and I'm lousy at image manipulation (look at the before and after pictures).

Before Alteration After Alteration

Here's a nifty document that tells us How the RIAA Litigation Process Works. In short, it's a bogus operation run by criminals who have enough money on their side to bully people into paying up rather than fighting. I really hope that the RIAA is completely driven out of business someday due to their illegal and immoral suing of random internet users. Think you can't be sued because you've never downloaded a song? Think again.

Just after I finally get to see Mirrormask on DVD, the Museum of Hoaxes presents this article on the BEK phenomena. By the way, Mirrormask was pretty good, and very haunting. It's staying with me, days after I've seen it. And the commentary was good, as well (and put a voice to Neil Gaiman for us).

Another perspective on terrorism. And while we're at it, let's teach our kids just like terrorists do.

Augie lists an addictive game. It looks very simple, but for whatever reason I can't seem to master it. I must be thinking in terms of arcing instead of straight lines.

Cool Maps.

Library Stuff talks about WorldCat, which is a huge database of library materials.

Garrett tells us about Gimpshop, which turns the open source freeware image edited tool Gimp into a Photoshop clone. I've never actually used Photoshop, and I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to get Gimpshop or not. Opinions welcome.

Maybe we'll get a break?

Record profits, but they can't do basic maintainence. I've said it before, I'll say it again: I want a hybrid that will run on either gasoline or biodiesel. Seems like the best of all worlds to me.

0 comments: