Sunday, December 02, 2012

A Sunday Review

John Carter - Finally got to see this, and it really wasn't bad. In fact, I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the Barsoom series. Nicely updated and nicely envisioned. Definitely a popcorn movie... but then, the book is light reading. I loved the twist at the end. I wasn't sure about the lead actor, his voice sometimes distracted from the character for me for some reason. But overall, very nice. A good movie for a nice evening in with the hubby.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Sep 5th
  • Earth Two #0 - So, who is the other one? And what happened to Catwoman? So many unanswered questions.
  • Worlds' Finest #0 - Ah, well, now I know what happened to Catwoman. Never mind. Yikes.
  • Green Lantern #0 - New character, based on the events of 9/11. I'm going to try to reserve judgement, but it's going to be difficult with all the cliches flying around.
  • Smallville Season 11 #5 - Enter Batman. Not the version I expected, but hey, it's ok.
  • Muppets #3 - Interesting. I miss the music, though.
  • Road to Oz #1 - How do I like it? Hrm, "don't know." Heh. Good stuff, as usual.
  • Sep 12th
  • Dorothy of Oz Prequel #4 - Still not feeling it. Too cutesy and deviant from the real Oz for me.
  • Green Lantern Corps #0 - Origin of Guy Gardner? Not really all that impressive.
  • Resurrection Man #0 - I want a lot more of this book. Unfortunately, this is it for now.
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series #6 - Surprisingly sad and touching, except it ends rather abruptly.
  • Saucer Country #7 - That one threw me off. I think the story is a step ahead of me. Hope I can catch up.
  • Hoax Hunters #3 - Wow. I still don't know what's going on, but I think I'm enjoying it despite that!
  • No Place Like Home #5 - What the heck? I mean, seriously, what? At least somebody finally gets to Oz.
  • Sep 19th
  • Justice League #0 - I don't see any Justice League here. I don't mind getting some Captain Marvel/Shazam, but it's a little strange for the title.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #0 - I'm not really sure where this new Green Lantern thing is going, but I'm not enjoying it all that much.
  • Batman Beyond Unlimited #8 - I'm beginning to get mixed up in the various storylines in my head. It's almost a shame to read this as an anthology book with so many crossover characters between the stories.
  • Young Justice #20 - No more Aqualad? That makes this book much less appealing to me. I don't like Lagoon Boy, so that's a no go. Bleah.
  • Fables #121 - This was chilling and yet wonderful. I'm sort of sick about Dare, but it's an amazing story nonetheless. Wow.
  • Peanuts V2 #2 - I quite enjoyed this one, particularly the blanket story. Lucy is a typical big sister in that.
  • Doctor Who Special 2012 - Four stories, none of them bad. None of them rose to the level of excellence, in my opinion. Worth a look, but only for fans.



My Kindle book this week was Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure by David H. Burton. The set up was extremely promising, but once the kids got to the orphanage it seemed to go a bit derivative. I think I would pick up a second book, but I'd hope it used the unique elements of the world a little more obviously and deeply.