Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Sunday Review

Doctor Who: "The Time of the Doctor" - It was good. It was bad. It was neither. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped for the final Matt Smith episode, but it had some moments that just worked really well. Unfortunately, a lot of other moments were just answers to questions poised earlier in the series and were mildly irritating. Clara seemed like an afterthought for most of the episode, and too many bad guys running around made for annoying watching (though the wooden Cyberman was quite cool). Overall, not my favorite episode... but we had the 50th anniversary earlier this year and I don't think this could have topped that no matter how hard it tried.

So, now we start the long wait until Autumn to find out what this next Doctor will be up to...



I'm only two months behind on my comics. I blame the Christmas season.

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 30th
  • Aquaman Annual #1 - Another "Others" story. It's ok, just... well, I read the book for Aquaman, not for these new characters. They aren't bad, they just aren't the reason I'm reading.
  • Green Lantern Annual #2 - Felt like I'd skipped a book... well, yeah, the Red Lantern part of the story, since we don't get that book. And yup, wonderboy Kyle saves the universe.
  • Smallville Season 11 Special #3 - So, was that Mercer getting in touch with her humanity while Lex gets in touch with his new lackey? And who are the folks running around Seattle? This whole series has just kind of gone beyond something I care about.
  • Itty Bitty Hellboy #3 - Pamcakes make everything better. Once you've had them, the demons will never get you back.
  • A Distant Soil #42 - The clean-up begins... I like the references to the ending of Star Wars and the realization of the humans that they no longer have value. I am looking forward to reading the entire series start to finish once all the remastered trades are out.
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #12 - So we get the history of the Golden Cap. Not quite identical to the books, but close. Now the only question is what will happen with those extra four flying gorillas.
  • Department of Monsterology #2 - First issue was interesting, this one continues the trend, but it's still not entirely clear what each organization is up to.
  • Nov 6th
  • Forever Evil #3 - That's the resistance group? Wow. Earth is doomed.
  • Earth 2 #17 - Yet more twists and turns. I'm not sure where the story is going, but I'm glad of it because it's not bound to continuity.
  • Green Lantern #25 - Hal really is a twit, isn't he? This is ok, but just not my cuppa.
  • Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #10 - Fun little story with funny villains, followed by an intense bit. I like that we know who is attacking, but I can't quite figure out what Ten has planned.
  • Legends of Red Sonja #1 - I was expecting several short stories, but the stories in this one sort of blended together. I liked it, but the transition wasn't very smooth.
  • Emerald City of Oz #4 - Ah, yes, some of the stranger places that exist in Oz. Lots more of Baum's humor showing in this issue.
  • Steam Engines of Oz #3 - This ended a little abruptly, all things considered. Yeah, it makes sense that a little jolt fixes the problem, but it still seemed almost too easy from the characters' point of view. Oh well.



My library book this week was The Chestnut King by N. D. Wilson. Henry York's new life isn't perfect, despite the introduction of baseball to another world. This was another can't-stop-too-much-happening book, and I admit that I eventually got tired of the continual ramping up of action. Like Henry, I just wanted it to end. That's not to say it wasn't good... just an exhausting read. Good series, and I'm glad it had an epilogue. That was a nice touch. I'm glad I read it, but next time I read something from this author, I'm going to make sure I have more time.



My mystery book this week was The Alpine Menace by Mary Daheim. Emma's cousin has been accused of murder, and Vida can't tolerate Emma not going to help a member of her family. Emma's cousin is really, really pathetic. Although his love for his dog makes sense. I love how Vida just bluffs her way through events, not pausing to even think about what she's up to. I also enjoyed the tips to previous books and the events that happened before. Emma's relationship with her brother got even more interesting in this one as well. Overall, I quite enjoyed the non-Alpine adventure... although the bits of Alpine we did get were hilarious in contrast. If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.



0 comments: