Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Dec 4th
  • DC vs Masters of the Universe #3 - I don't really remember much from the old He-Man cartoons, but when I saw who the big bad was on the final splash of this book I laughed out loud.
  • Earth 2 #18 - Queen of the Sea? Ok, this book just got more interesting to me.
  • Green Lantern #26 - Well, that was a mighty screw-up on Hal's part.
  • Doctor Who V3 #16 - It's a pity that IDW lost the rights to Doctor Who and rushed out their final books. On the other hand, it was nice to get them all so close together. This was a decent finale to this series.
  • Legends of Red Sonja #2 - Two decent little stories. I enjoyed the misdirection of the first one, and the seriousness tinged with humor of the second. I suppose I'm enjoying the book overall, despite Sonja's depressing taste in ... clothes.
  • Dec 11th
  • Justice League #25 - Eh, basically another Bat-book. Boring.
  • Justice League of America #10 - Courtney is an interesting character in general, and in specific, this origin story works well in this context. Nice to read about someone that isn't in the Bat-family.
  • Justice League 3000 #1 - I almost dropped this book when I heard about the change in artist. I wish I had.
  • World's Finest #18 - I really enjoy the friendship these two show. It's a pity that even if they did make it home, they wouldn't recognize it.
  • Green Lantern Corps #26 - It just gets worse and worse for the Lanterns, right? And Hal really isn't helping.
  • Smallville Alien #1 - A new mystery to solve after Clark reveals his otherworldly origins. This ought to be amusing.
  • Astro City #7 - That's a very nasty campaign. I'm kind of on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. I like that from a story.
  • Three #3 - And the story gets more intriguing, as Klaros is not entirely what he seems. There's also a the fun little revenge tale from the disgraced Spartan. I'm enjoying the text at the back that explains more of the society, as well.
  • Emerald City of Oz #5 - Ah yes! I'd forgotten that this one ends with the "end" of Oz stories reaching the outside world. Quite a fun little twist, considering how many more Oz books Baum wrote. But certainly a good way for Shanower to end the Marvel series.
  • Spongebob Comics #27 - Only a small mention of Mermaid Man, but it's a pretty fun little book despite its flaws.



My library book this week was Redshirts by John Scalzi. A group of crewmembers on a space ship figure out that the senseless deaths of their fellow crewmates has a chilling reason behind it. Eric checked this out of the library and enjoyed it so much that he got me to read it. And, yeah, it's pretty good. There were some shaky plotlines, and not all of them were due to the Narrative, but the whole thing moved at a good pace and made up for minor issues. It was also hilariously funny at times, dissecting fiction in a slightly familiar, yet still original, way. The codas were a nice touch to distract from the much more disturbing implications in the penultimate chapter. Until, of course, you think about it a little more. Overall, a very good read. Lovers of any sort of science fiction ought to check it out.



My mystery book this week was The Alpine Obituary by Mary Daheim. Emma's help is requested after a local judge gets a threatening letter. I didn't know what to expect after the major event of the previous book. I wasn't surprised it was more than a year later in Alpine time. The various plot threads came together, but I'm fairly certain that a couple of those characters met in the previous book and... well, now I want to skim through Nemesis again to figure out if what I seem to recall happening actually happened, and if there was any sort of clue there. The obituary was rather tasteless, by the way. If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.



0 comments: