Thursday, July 17, 2003

Sketchbook - Dev Madan

My first foray into sketches was a little embarrassing and a lot enlightening. I didn't have a sketchbook of any kind, I just asked a couple of artists at a very small show if they would do a sketch for me. I paid for both sketches, which were done on comic book backing boards. When I next decided to get sketches, I dug out an old sketchbook I had in college (that had some drawings I had done), and brought it along. The first artist to do a sketch for me was Dev Madan. He was really nice, and took a long time on the sketch to make sure he caught the aspect of Aquaman that he wanted to catch. He also seemed to be aware that other artists might use his sketch as a reference, something that happened frequently (I can't tell you how many times an artist had one hand on Dev's sketch so he or she could quickly flip between the sketch being worked on and Dev's sketch). The result was great, and has been seen by every single person who has done a sketch for me since.


AQUAMAN
by Dev Madan
19 Sep 1999
(permission to post given 11 July 2003 via e-mail)
http://www.jaznjaz.com/Madan1

This sketch was drawn at the Seattle Com-Card Convention #32 on September 19th, 1999. It was the third Aquaman sketch I ever got, and the first in my first sketchbook (it's now on the second page of that sketchbook). It was done in pencil first, then inked over with a pen. The shadows were filled in with felt tip. After the sketch was done, I asked Dev how much I owed him for it, and he seemed surprised. He said I owed him nothing... which surprised me at first. After filling out the entire sketchbook with free sketches, I'm not nearly as surprised anymore, but I am continually thankful.

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me.

0 comments: