Thursday, August 28, 2003

Flipping Through Previews...

I don't generally do a Previews overview because there just isn't all that much outside of the stuff I'm getting that interests me in an average month. Usually I see one or two books that I'm sort of intrigued by, and that's it. There's never enough reason to spend the time writing up thoughts on books that haven't come out that I'm not likely to order. But this month there's a few, so I'm going to try to do a nice short overview. This is:

"Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)"

Ok, a good perusal through Previews starts at "the splash page", in which Diamond promotes a number of different items. This month there is nothing of interest to me here, though, so flip on to the "Premier Comics" section.

Dark Horse is putting out a 25 cent Conan comic written by Kurt Busiek and drawn by Cary Nord. Let's see, Kurt Busiek doing a classic fantasy character, for only two bits... Yup. That one makes the list.

Next item of interest is the Shrek TPB. Only problem with it collecting the three issue mini-series is that the mini-series has been massively delayed... so much so that issue three was never solicited, and the original fourth issue was dropped. So what are we supposed to do? I usually don't order a trade if I have the originals, but I clearly haven't ordered all the originals (much less gotten any), so should I take my chances and order the trade and expect the individual issues to be cancelled? Help!

Moving on, Usagi Yojimbo is on the list, and that finishes out Dark Horse. There's a very nice looking Darth Vader vinyl figure, but even if I had the money I wouldn't get it. I just thought I'd mention that it looks very cool.

Next up is DC. The bulk of our ordering is in the DC section, so I'm going to move through this fast. Batman Adventures, Birds of Prey, and the new Elseworld Batman: Detective #27. I'm interested in the Softcover treatment of Batman: Child of Dreams, but that won't make the list.

In the Superman section we will get Smallville #5, Superman: Birthright #5, Superman & Batman: Generations III #11, and hopefully Superman: The Kansas Sighting #1.

In the regular DCU books, Aquaman #12 and the new Aquaman trade Aquaman: The Water Bearer are no-brainers. We'll also get Cinnamon: El Ciclo #4, Empire #5, Fallen Angel #5, Formerly Known as the Justice League #5, Green Arrow #32, Green Lantern #171, H-E-R-O #10, JLA #90, JLA: Liberty and Justice, JLA-Z #3, JSA #54, JSA: All-Stars #7, Justice League Adventures #25, and probably Outsiders #6. Whew.

Wildstorm books are Arrowsmith #5 and Astro City: Local Heroes #5. I am ever-so-slightly intersted in Superman/Thundercats, but not enough to get it. I would get Road to Perdition and its sequel which is being solicited this month if I had some extra cash. As it is, the Green Lantern Pocket Super Heroes Set is enough of a money drain, if we decide to get it.

Right after the DC section is an ad for Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross. I like Ross' artwork. I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of what artists should strive for, but I think it's generally pretty neat. And I wouldn't mind getting this book if I could afford it.

On to Image Comics. I wouldn't mind trying out 40 Oz Collection by Jim Mahfood, if only because of that awesome sketch he did for me. And I would love to read Hedge Knight, but haven't been ordering them despite my interest because it was just one more book we can't afford. There is no new Powers of Age of Bronze, so the only Image Book we are actually ordering this month is WildGuard #3.

In the Top Cow section, Neilalien pointed out Cursed, which I would also be willing to try if I could afford it. Like Neilalien, I too have a weakness for Ancient Egypt and Pirates.

For Marvel, the less said the better. Amazing Spider-Man #60/501 is on the pull, but I note that the page that is proclaimed as "Art From Amazing Spider-Man #501" in the Marvels Preview book shows up on page 9 of the current issue. Whoops. Other than that, Supreme Power #4 and JLA/Avengers #3 are it. I'll be writing a little more about the new Marvels Preview book in my Rapid Reviews for this week.

I want to pause here and say that the Alex Ross cover to Wizard #146, with Aquaman standing behind Wonder Woman, looks pretty darn good to me. I like this Aquaman, even if he's in a "point at the mountain" pose.

On to the rest of the comics.

First up is Licensable Bear #1 from About Comics. This looks like fun. I'm not entirely sure what "post-ironic satire" means, but I know I like Nat Gertler's writing, so I would love to get this. In addition to Nat's name, the description of a teddy bear trying to license his own image is just amusing. I'm not sure about the artwork, not enough to judge by, but I would give this a shot if I could.

Airwave Comics has a book called Yets #1 that looks interesting. It looks like a cute funny animal book. However, without any more indication of the interior art than that single image, I'd be hesitant to try it. Still, a "daredevil guinea pig" searching for dragons and finding fire-breathing "Yets" sounds fun.

There's a Peanutbutter & Jeremy trade in the Alternative Comics section. I seem to recall enjoying that book from FCBD. Would be nice to try out a trade.

If I had no problems with money at all, I would give Seamonsters & Superheroes #1 a try, but it would be one of the first to be cut from my list if I had to shorten it. It looks interesting, but not really something I would enjoy. Basically, I would love to give it a shot. It's from Amaze Inke/Slave Labor Graphics.

Next up is Antarctic Press, and Assembly #1, which I would definitely get if I had any extra money for books at all this month. The description gets me: "In a totalitarian future, military service guarantees food and housing. Shon believes enlisting is the only option to solve her financial troubles. But she doesn't comprehend the consequences of her decisions -- or the mortality rate in the service!" Just my kind of book. Add in the artwork, a nice close-up of which is on page 213 of Previews, and I'm very interested.

A word here about Neotopia. I would love to buy all of the series, as I know already that I like Rod Espinosa's work. Again, it's a matter of the series being just outside of what we can afford. I hope to get the whole thing someday to read.

A new mini from APC interests me. Digital Graffiti #1 is about London "a few centuries from now". I wish there was more description, but it looks like something I would give a chance.

Along the same lines is Ruule: Ganglords of Chinatown #1 from Beckett Entertainment. The concept intrigues me: "Chinatown has become a city without hope ruled by vicious ganglords. Out of this darkness, a young man receives a strange visitor who offers him the key to saving his city. But first he must learn to have faith in something that his people had abandoned long ago." I'm just a sucker for this type of solo hero story.

An entry in which the solicit interests me, but the art doesn't inspire me, is Birch Barks Comics Sacred Circles #1. Just looking at the tiny picture, I can't tell at all what it is supposed to represent, but the text is interesting to me, if for no other reason than the Canadian term "First Nations" (a term which is far more accurate than either "Indians" or "Native Americans").

Radioactive Man: The Movie Adaptation from Bongo Comics is amusing, and I actually did see that episode of The Simpsons, so I know what it's about. It wouldn't take much for this to make the list.

CrossGen may have annoyed me with their leadership's irresponsible attitude toward freelancers, but I'm still inclined to buy a few of their books. Ruse #26, El Cazador #3, Way of the Rat, and The Crossovers have all made the cut. I've been interested in getting The Path trades for some time, but I don't see that as any more likely now than it has been, and maybe a little less likely after Alessi's snide comments.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collection from Dreamwave interests me only because it's Peter David writing it. This one would be low on my list, but I'd get it if I could.

Another set of books I'd get if I could afford them would be the Gemstone Disney books. The first comic I remember reading was an Uncle Scrooge comic. I'd be particularly interested in any clasic tales that might reprint some of the stories I read as a kid.

Monkeysuit Press has a book that looks intriguing, but I wonder why it's labeled "Mature Readers". The book is Adventures of Mia #1 and the solicit reads: "Mia is an innocent but strong willed young girl, living in a small town on the Italian Riviera. She flies her plane like no one can, with pure instinct. Mia is ready to fly up against the top pilots of the day and even against the superior military planes of the fascist forces. These exciting stories follow Mia through many stages of her career. We see her as a skilled aviatrix, and we find out just how her amazing talents came to be, back when she was just a toddler." Maybe it's just that fighting against the fascists thing.

No promise that I'll read it, but my friend is getting Phantom #1 by Moonstone through us. It does look interesting. He's a big Phantom fan, so he's happy to see a new series starting.

Sentai Studios is putting out Raven's End #1, which appears to be another feudal Japan series. Again, I'm interested, but it would be fairly low on my list.

Wertham Was Right by Mark Evanier is another of those books that I would get if I could afford it. Along with Comic Books & Other Nexessities of Life.

Via Media Publishing Company has something called Tales of the Hermit that looks up my alley, and would be on the tryout list if I could afford it.

Whew, on to the Graphic Novel Spotlight section. I am mildly interested in the Frumpy the Clown collections. I think I would definitely get The Liberty Project if I could afford it, as it's Kurt Busiek's early stuff.

In the Magazines, I would likely get both Alter Ego #30 and Back Issue #1 if I could, as both list articles that I wouldn't mind reading. But we've discovered that the magazines just cost too much for us to keep buying. Just getting the latest Doctor Who Magazine takes a large chunk out of our comics budget.

In the books section, most of which is right out of our budget, I find the previously mentioned Alex Ross DC book, as well as a few other books of interest. I would love to get The Art of Maurice Sendak for instance. Also of interest is The Silver Age of Comic Book Art, although I'm willing to bet there won't be much Aquaman in it. I really want Words of Wonder: The Life and Times of Otto Binder, as Otto Binder was one of the early Aquaman writers. I also happen to know that the writer, Bill Schelly, is excellent. Beyond that... I want all the Little Lit books. I'm almost embarassed that I don't already have them. There's a new Oz book in the books section: All Things Oz, and I'm sure hubby-Eric will want to order that.

As long as I'm still going, I'll mention that I want the three Super Friends t-shirts, despite missing them the first time around. The one that actually has Aquaman on it would be the priority. Those are put out by Graphitti, by the way.

There are more items in the merchandise that I would like, I'm sure. I just realized how incredibly long this entry has gotten, though, so I think I'll stop here. So there you go, folks, my "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)" list. Enjoy.

0 comments: