Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Morning Thoughts

Ah, you can look up the cover to Time magazine from the week you were born. Of course, what else would be on my week but the Super Bowl? Blah.

More electronic voting problems. Again, I have no issue with electronic voting, as long as there is a physical verification of the vote that is saved by the voting authority and can be used for a recount without relying on the computers.

While David Fiore has apologized for his unfortunately choice of comparisons to Ross' work (yes, David, you did compare Alex Ross to Nazis, even if you weren't referring to his political beliefs), I still think he's taking in his own preconceived notions to the work instead of judging it on its own merits. I firmly disagree that a sense of wonder, grandeur, and awe is inappropriate for a superhero book, especially when the theme of many of the works in question is that we look up to these heroes, and they fail. I don't care if someone doesn't like Ross' work, many people don't, but comparing it to Triumph of the Will and then saying that he doesn't "see how any rational adult could" read or enjoy such a comic is a slap in the face. It definitely implies that readers who like Ross' work are taken in by some sort of Nazi-type propaganda. And that's what I was objecting to. And he spelled my name wrong.

Current BBBB Computer Fund Total: $0.00 - Number of "Blue Screens" yesterday: 2

Update: I didn't read Sean Collins take on the subject until just a few moments ago. Had I known the subject was already discussed to death on the Comics Journal messageboards, I would have probably been even more upset at Fiore's comparison. As it is, I was mildly offended. But if I'd known that some people consider "heroic portraits of powerful, physically fit people shot from low angles" to be "inherently fascist", I probably would have misunderstood Fiore's argument even more than I did. It's a remarkably inane concept, and Fiore was just barely skimming the surface of it.

0 comments: