Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 5 November 2003 - Part I

Justice League: A Better World: Shades of Squadron Supreme! I love "Elseworld" type stories, and this one fit the bill. The costume designs were very nice. I was chilled by the "new" Arkham Asylum, particularly Poison Ivy. I also wasn't expecting Doomsday. The whole movement of the story worked for me as well, from the Batman/Batman show to the final resolution. Very nice. 4 starfish

JSA: All Stars #7: I really like the new Mr Terrific. And I was hoping this issue would shed some more light on the character. Instead, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what the heck that was supposed to be about. Ok, yeah, I saw more of his powers in action. Yeah, I learned a little bit about his back-story that I don't think I knew. But that revelation was supposed to put him at peace? Huh? I'm afraid I really don't get it. The back-up story was good. What do you do if you are the brother of the world's most perfect man? This one gets a higher rating on the strength of the back-up story, as the first story disappointed me. 3 1/2 starfish

Formerly Known as the Justice League #5: Captain Atom is leaking. Lovely. The thing to remember about this book, the most important thing of all, is that every character is exaggerated. All of them. Even guest appearances. If you can get that, then you can enjoy the book. That said, it was particularly difficult for me to buy into Mary Marvel's simpering (why didn't she stay with Captain Atom if she was so concerned?). Beyond that, it seemed like business as usual. Light and funny with a dash of chocolate cookies. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Powers, Crossovers, Akiko, Usagi Yojimbo, Empire, Arrowsmith, Superman: Birthright, Justice League Adventures, Supreme Power, Assembly, and JLA-Z.

0 comments: