Sunday, April 18, 2004

Random Thoughts

According to my e-mail, I'm not the only one seeing Blogspot sites turn into gibberish. In fact, one person e-mailed me because my site had turned into gibberish, and another (hi Fred!) mentioned that mine was gibberish yesterday but fine today. Apparently just refreshing the page will usually clear up the problem.

Kaja Foglio reports on the Nebulas... well, one Nebula... and the most fiendish building in Seattle. Kaja's gaming project is now showing up on the GURPS page.

Also speaking of Girl Genius, I've just been volunteered to be on the Girl Genius panel at Anglicon XVII, which has a "Steampunk" theme this year. As I've already mentioned, unless she succumbs to the Anglicon curse, Virginia Hey (Farscape) is this year's guest. I intend to dress as a Mad Scientist.

Fred Hembeck (no permalinks) reports on a soccer game (that's football to the rest of the world), and the accompanying drama regarding goal-tending.

Grotesque Anatomy has some great quotes from Supergirl Archives Volume 2. My favorite: "In a way I'll miss that second head! It was almost like having...a twin sister!"

Thought Balloons has an absolutely awful re-imagining of Mickey Mouse, to go with an article about Mickey's relevance.

According to Monitor Duty, some theatres are accidently cutting out an entire scene from Hellboy because the projectionist mistakenly thinks that a fade to absolute black in one scene means that reel is over.

Hey! The Mariners won another game! They're actually 4-8 now! If they keep this up, they might even go over .500 before the end of the year!

I took this political quiz I found over at Jeff Parker's blog, and I'm apparently a liberal-leaning Libertarian. Hubby-Eric, on the other hand, is just plain Liberal.

Another very painful entry at Doc Shazam's blog. This one about a burned child. Read the comments, one poster has a guess as to why the child did not cry.

Is a Muslim call to prayers the same thing as church bells? There's a debate about it in the Detroit area. Personally, I find church bells very annoying in the early morning, but I'd accept bells as long as Muslim calls were also allowed. You can't allow one without allowing the other. via Paul, who has his own opinion.

Pacific Views sums up the current Jamie Gorelick situation, with a link to Gorelick defending herself in a Washington Post op-ed piece that demolishes Ashcroft's underhanded declassification attack. PV also points to the death threats Gorelick has received as a result of Ashcroft's lying innuendo.

An open letter from the father of a soldier to President Bush. "I'll be candid, Mr. President: I don't believe you have the slightest idea how hard it is having a loved one in Iraq. ... I am still waiting for answers to questions that you do not seem willing to address. You owe the country the truth. Nothing more -- nothing less." via Blah3.com.

Here's a cynical prediction: "Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, promised President Bush the Saudis would cut oil prices before November to ensure the U.S. economy is strong on election day, journalist Bob Woodward said in a television interview Sunday." That's from Forbes.com.

0 comments: