Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Home Sweet Seattle

Writing from the pugless house of not-so-many horrors, it's been a quiet day. I arrived early, and the pugs were still home. They saw me and the older pug immediately drooped... he thought he knew he was going to be stuck with me. After the pugs and pug owners left, I settled in and relaxed... five weeks...

After an uneventful day, Jerry called to check in. They'd made it to their first destination on the five week road trip. During the drive, the pugs decided very quickly that they didn't like being strapped into the nice harnesses that Jerry got for them, and both of them apparently performed great stunts of contortionism to get out of said harnesses and wander the camper. Eventually the pug owners decided to let them, as the pugs weren't interfering with driving, and they would just contort themselves out of the harnesses again.

Grandma and Grandpa seem pleased to have me around. That's a good sign.

I made the mistake of drinking some of the water here. Yuck. Bottled water or water from home for me. Seattle water is just icky.

It's going to take some getting used to, living here. I'm on a major road, and the traffic is constant during the day. Earlier today an ambulance went by and honked at some idiot blocking the road just as it passed the house. I jumped out of my skin. Took me some time to get back into it, too, let me tell ya.

I've also had to get used to going up and down stairs. When I unloaded my bags from the car, I had to go up one flight of stairs to get to the main level of the house, then another to get to where I'm staying. And I need to go up and down frequently during the day to check in on the grandparents, water the plants, get the newspaper and the mail, make my food... I keep telling myself it's worth it because of the hot tub.

Here's a couple of links to tide you over until I blog again:

Kevin Drum writes an ode to blogs. Well, that's what I'd call it, anyway.

The 2004 Hugo-Nominated fiction, complete with links to on-line versions. via Boing Boing