Saturday, June 05, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 3 June 2004 - Part II

Superman: Birthright #11: ARGH. But for the art, I could like this tale. Almost. I still don't buy Lex staging a full-scale invasion like that, even with the help of Kryptonite, but if the art was better I could at least figure out what was going on. No, sorry, Yu's art just isn't for me. Neutral. 3 starfish

Ant #2: A good editor would have made this a lot better. The dialogue doesn't read quite right, so the pacing is thrown off. The premise is strong, the story is moving along at a nice pace, but you can tell this is a small press book. I don't usually notice typos on a first read-through, but I did notice a couple in this book. And the art... well, I said it takes some getting used to. I'm not quite used to it yet. I still want to give it another issue, partly because I'm curious about what happens next, and partly because of the comments from the writer, Mario Gully, on how this story came to be. I can still only give this one a mild recommendation, but it's a very different sort of book in a very familiar sort of way. 3 1/2 starfish

Girl Genius #11: This is... um... bigger. It's larger than the rest of my comics. More like a Golden Age sized book than a modern book. I'm not entirely sure why, but it certainly makes it stand out. Anyway... Agatha is off on her own, sort of, and manages to run into a lot of trouble right away. In fact, I'm not sure how she's going to get out of that cliff-hanger, since ... well, you can read it. The puzzle in the back is great, I gotta get me an extra copy of this cover to slice and dice. As usual, this book is recommened. 4 starfish

Coming next week (according to the most up-to-date list I've got): Aquaman, Fallen Angel, Green Arrow, H-E-R-O, Identity Crisis, Phantom, Demo, and the Hedge Knight Trade.