Monday, August 16, 2004

Olympics in the Comics

I'm too lazy to write any more reviews at the moment, so I thought I'd instead I'd mention one major usage of the Olympics in a comic book.

This is from a story I only have on microfiche, so I couldn't scan the panels that describe the Olympics. The story was in More Fun Comics #96, from March of 1944. At this point, there had been no Olympics for eight years, and there would be no Olympics that year. The story was called "Champion in War", and described a Chinese swimmer who had "his points added to the American team" to win a Gold and beat out the evil Japanese swimmers. Now, years later, the swimmer was in an occupied area delivering messages under the noses of the Japanese using his swimming skills. Aquaman arrives and helps him when the Japanese finally get wise to the scheme.

Despite a fuzzy understanding of how the Olympics worked, the heart of the story wasn't too bad. The idea that a person who was a hero during peacetime in front of the world could also be a champion in the middle of a war doing secret work with no acclaim at all. Not too bad... although the caricatures of Japanese, both athletes and soldiers, makes me cringe in these more enlightened and supposedly less propagandish days.

I also recall a Silver Age tale in which Aquaman and Aqualad captain teams of competing fish from the Atlantic and Pacific oceans in an underwater Olympics. But that wasn't a mention of actual Olympic games.

Anyone know of more references? And yes, I've been enjoying watching the Olympics. Particularly the swimmers. Particularly the male swimmers. I love the CBC's coverage, too. Much less partisan and more focused on the competition for the most part, although with 2 billion NBC-related channels showing the games, it isn't hard to watch something if the CBC stops showing competition in favor of long interviews with Canadian medalists.