Sunday, September 26, 2004

Random Thoughts

And very happy birthday wishes to Amanda!

Happy birthday to Trash Heap, also.

Black Aquaman, Doin' the Wash, Yo! Generally speaking, The Stranger isn't very friendly to Aquaman, but the cartoon was funny... and actually somewhat educational. See, it's in the back-to-school issue aimed at college students, and it's about... oh, just read the title.

This brings back memories. Via Boing Boing.

Just go check out Near Mint Heroes. Shane is linkblogging up a storm again and you don't want to miss it.

H over at The Comic Treadmill has a pretty fun theory as to who the killer in Identity Crisis might be. I would not be surprised if he got it right. There is also a new poll related to IC on the blog. I think Yoko Ono is definitely the one.

Monitor Duty reports that The Incredibles is going to rock.

Legomancer has an opinion on sympathy cards.

Johnny B has a book out. I want a copy. Too bad I'm still flat broke, but maybe I can score one in awhile, once I've got some cash again.

Cool Hand shadow puppets. It's a Gutenberg text with woodcut illustrations. Very cool. I gotta try the "grandpa" one.

An abandoned boy is raised by a guard dog. Via Boing Boing.

Stuart Hughes tells us about wheelchairs in the paralympics, including the need for a good repair shop. He also tells us about a runner who might challenge our perceptions in just a couple of years.

Now that we're actually in Banned Books Week, I'm looking at the list of challenged book and was looking at the next book I've read on the list, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. It's been awhile since I read it, but I recall the teacher in whose class I read it. She told us that Huck Finn was a very important book, that everyone should read it, but that Tom Sawyer wasn't worth reading. When she said this, my friend Tammy raised her hand and asked, "Have you ever actually read Tom Sawyer?" The teacher admitted, a little shame-faced, that she hadn't. I think every one of us then went out and got a copy of Tom Sawyer to read so we could quote bits of the book in class and compare it to Huck Finn, just for the teacher's benefit.

How about a picture of hubby-Eric tormenting pugs to finish off this post?


0 comments: