Monday, July 25, 2005

3-Day Pictures Day One

I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to throughout the 3-Day. It wasn't as easy as it should've been to grab my camera from it's pocket and get a picture, especially when I didn't want to break my pace and be unable to get going again. Still, I got a couple of pictures, so here's what I have to share with you.

This is an example of a Sweep Van. This particular van is the "Moody Boobs" and they drove around playing 60s music. I also saw the "Scoobie Boobies" (more about them later), "Clean Sweep", "Knock Out Breast Cancer", and the "Sole Train". I think there were seven sweep vans, two ambulances, and a number of other cars monitoring the route at all times.

Here's the crowd at the holding pen, waiting for the Walk to start. The gentleman in the Wizard of Oz cap and I tried to chat, but the music was too loud. Lake Sammamish is right behind me as I took this picture, and we could see lightning if we looked out across the lake.

A couple of the women in the pen with me were from out of town, and they asked about the weather. I predicted it would be dry by evening. As we waited in the pen, rain started coming down and people put on rain gear. During the Walk, the rain gear made a distinctive swishing sound, and you could always tell when someone wearing rain gear was coming up behind you. As the rain continued, the crew started handing out plastic bags and mylar blankets. A lot of the Walkers were cold and needed those blankets. I thought the temperature was perfect. The rain, not so good, but the temp was nice. That night a lot of folks took their silver blankets to their tents with them, and I heard some people in the morning exclaim about how the blankets made the night tolerable for them.

I couldn't resist getting a picture of Walkers in front of the Microsoft Campus. I'd lived in Redmond long enough that it just seemed like a perfect photo op.

Home, Sweet Tent.

The team was all in the same area, and so we put up our sign. The Bouncing Betties of Bothell were well-represented, although I know for certain that three of us didn't do the full Walk thanks to injuries. On the first day, lots of people commented that they liked my shirt. On the second day, people would exclaim "Look, it's a Bouncing Bettie!" On the third day everyone was too tired to do more than grunt.

Last picture of the day. A sea of tents. We were on a field right next to the Velodrome, which had a race on Friday night. Deep into the evening we could hear the lap bells. In addition, there was a concert in another area of Marymoor Park, and we could clearly hear the music from our tents. It was a county group singing a bunch of country classics. They went on and on, and eventually I just wanted them to shut up. The field itself was still damp from the rains, but it wasn't bad. There was a lot of mud in some spots, but those were mostly avoidable.

0 comments: