Monday, October 17, 2005

Rapid Reviews - Fables

So the first two reviews here were written awhile ago, as I was saving them for a bigger entry. Well, three volumes seems like a good collection of capsule reviews.

Fables: Animal Farm: This volume shows how smart Rose Red is while giving us some rip-roarin' action. The title homage works for this one as well. I do have one major nit to pick with it, though... if the Fables were driven out of their homeland hundreds of years ago, how is it that Fables based on Kipling tales are part of the group? That one threw me off. Oh well. This is a pretty cool series. 3 starfish

Fables: Storybook Love: A bunch of short stories, so it doesn't hold together as well as the first two volumes. On the other hand, it's got some real classics, including a tale illustrated by Linda Medley. Overall, an excellent read. 3 starfish

Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers: I'm liking the fact that my library is getting these books at a steady pace, as it seems about the right pace to be reading this series. This volume has the first indication that the Adversary the Fables faced in their home has any interest in them in the new world. There is also a big hint as to who the Adversary might be. I continue to enjoy this series, even as I wait for new volumes to be produced. 3 starfish

0 comments: