Monday, November 28, 2005

CSS Update

As I mentioned a week or so ago, I'm working on converting this blog to CSS. I've run into at least one major problem. Namely that it's absolutely impossible to duplicate the layout of this blog in CSS because of the way the tables are set up. CSS can do a lot of neat things, but making my sidebar look like my sidebar looks now is not one of them. I will probably bow to the inevitable and change it, but not soon.

In the meantime, I've been introducing CSS aspects to everything that I can. For example, the header up there that says "Bloggity-Blog-Blog-Blog" on the blue-purple background is now all CSS. And it reduced the size of the header code A LOT. I've been making other little tweaks as the mood hits as well. If you notice something really odd, feel free to leave a comment in whatever entry is at the top of the blog at the time. I'm testing on four browsers, but they are all mostly CSS compliant anyway.

In other news!

I'm trying to update the CSS on the Aquaman page, but it's mostly grunt work now. Just changing all the bits and pieces while updating the content. Lots and lots of work. I could easily spend eight hours a day on it.

My blog archives for Bloggity are also getting a face-lift. I'm making the sidebars SSI (Server Side Include) to make updating the stuff that tends to need updating much easier to ... um, update. I'd love to update all the code on the pages to CSS too, but there are over 150 pages in my archives and I'm not sure I'll get around to it. In addition, Blogger's archives have become a lot more stable since I first joined up, so I really don't need the archives anymore. Not that it's going to stop me from continuing to update them.

The keyboard on the laptop went out again, but this time I knew how to fix it. Still, if it keeps going out continually this will become a serious pain. It's freaky to have the keyboard just stop working in the middle of a sentence. This makes me even more glad that I didn't cancel the order on the new laptop as soon as I fixed the old one. There is no doubt that this workhorse of a laptop is finally getting close to retirement age. I'm thinking of trying to run Linux on it once I get settled into the new computer... just to see what Linux is like now. I would like to go Microsoft-free, just to see what it's like.

We are supposed to get snow tonight. If we get any significant amount, the entire region will shut down. I warned the mighty mowing men who came out today to work on our yard, since none of them are from the Northwest. I don't think they believed me. Ah well, if we get snow, they'll learn.

0 comments: