Thursday, November 10, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 2 November 2005 - Part I

Once again, I'm having trouble reviewing. Still, I've got lots of things to look forward to, including finding out how I've been Tuckerized by Jeff Parker. I've also got two review copies I really want to review, because I enjoyed them both. So here's some reviews of last week's books:

Spider-Man Unlimited #12: The only reason I got this book was for Tom Beland's story. The first one was ok, and a bit funny, but nothing wonderful. The second story, Beland's story, was great. One of Peter's students loses his parents, and Peter has just the solution. This one is touching and powerful, and if you consider Beland's own personal history, it becomes even more so. Definitely worth it. 3 starfish

Outsiders #30: "All Hell Breaks Loose": I can see why this book has had to be bagged with a warning in some shops. It's been that way any time big nasty demon-type guys appear. I can't say I really liked this one. It's not great. It's not horrible either. At least, I didn't think so. 2 starfish

JSA #79: "Lost & Found part Two of Three": Jakeem is nasty nasty nasty. I'm not sure how he got that way from where he was before. In fact, I can't remember when he vanished from the JSA because it happened so long ago realtime. But this storyline definitely has potential. 2 1/2 starfish

Superman #223: "Stones": I don't know much about Supergirl, and I don't know much at all about what's been happening with her in the DCU, but this was an ok story even for someone feeling clueless. And, of course, it ties in with the big crossover. 2 1/2 starfish

Detective Comics #813: "City of Crime Part 11: A Place of Fear": Wizard of Oz reference in this one. I have no clue what "The Body" is, but apparently the two storylines are finally coming together in there. I'm sure this whole story would read much better in one big chunk... like say in the inevitable collection, than in monthly installments. 2 starfish

Justice League Unlimited #15: "Urban Legend": Vibe. They brought in Vibe. The animated DCU is definitely different from the regular DCU. The folks there don't even know how that the plural of "el lobo" is "los lobos" not "el lobos". And Vibe is actually... well... effective. Um. I think I need to go rest now. 2 1/2 starfish

0 comments: