Friday, November 11, 2005

Review Copy Reviews

Sunset City from AiT/Planet Lar: I'd already seen a few reviews for this one before I got a copy to read, so I had a little idea, I thought, of what to expect. But I was wrong. This isn't a standard comic book by any stretch, and the ending is both unexpected and thought provoking. In fact, after reading the book I had to sit back and really try to decide if I could accept that as an ending or not. I'm still not sure, and I really doubt I'll ever be sure. What really gets me about this book is the contrasts. The deaths that Frank is witness to, living in a place where people go to die... deaths that are both natural and by violence. And yet, this is very much a story about life, somehow. I still don't quite know what to make of it. My best advice is that you go out and grab a copy to read for yourself. Then you, too, can go "hmmmm" about it. 4 starfish

Zombie Tales: Oblivion from Boom! Studios: This is basically the second issue of the Zombie Tales book that I reviewed a few months ago, and it's surprisingly good. I don't like zombie stories, and I'm not much a fan of horror at all. But this was pretty good. Gross, but good. 3 starfish

0 comments: