Sunday, January 08, 2006

Rapid Reviews - 14 December 2005

Samurai: Heaven & Earth #5: AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! I expected this to be the final issue of the series, and for it to wrap up and everyone to live happily ever after. If this series had come out in a timely manner, I wouldn't have minded this ending. Maybe I would have even enjoyed it. But this book was eight months late, so this ending is enough to make me want to scream. I don't know if I'll pick up another issue, even though I love the artwork and the concept. 2 1/2 starfish

Local #2: "Polaroid Boyfriend": Nice ending. Ambiguous. But nice. I'm still not quite used to Kelly's artwork, but I'm liking it more and more on every re-read. And I like that Megan is more in control in this issue. A nice solid read, worth checking out. 4 starfish

Noble Causes #15: More soap opera goodness from this title. I'm intrigued to find out what will happen when all of this finally pulls together. Definitely the best soap opera book out there. 3 starfish

Amelia Rules #16: "Against Unbelievable Odds": Another really touching story, this one about Amelia being rescued after her accident, and Trish fighting the darkness that threatens her. This is yet another issue of this book that nearly made me cry. Very recommended. 4 1/2 starfish

Green Arrow #57: "Heading Into the Light Part Four: House Warming": So this book is all about the Society's effectiveness. And it ends on a cliffhanger. I want to like it more, but while I'm interested in what happens, I'm still feeling mostly blah toward this title. 2 1/2 starfish

JLA #123: "Key Encounters": Isn't Green Arrow the last person who would be surprised that somebody came back from the dead? I like Aquaman's role in this one, even if it's limited. His conviction that the League is a good thing is in character. And I kind of like the way Derenick draws Aquaman, as well. The rest of the story makes more sense now that I understand who the goofy villain is... I never really liked the retcon of the Key and I like him less now, but at least I understand who he is. Not many more issues left in this run, I'm with it until the end. 2 1/2 starfish

Action #834: "Awake in the Dark": Neat little trip into Superman's Kryptonian history. I kind of begin to like the Queen of Fables, particularly her explanation on how she got out of the trap the Justice League set for her. Byrne's art is less irritating in this issue, but I'm still not sure what is bothering me about it. Still, not bad. 2 1/2 starfish

Aquaman #37: "All Fall Down": I'm extremely irritated that I can't identify all the Aqua-villains on the splash page. I should know who they are, but I don't. That's irritation with myself. I'm also very irritated that the editor didn't know Cerdian's gender, a mistake that's embarrassing to say the least. On the other hand, it might be easily explicable, if you read the Jurgens/Epting run of Aquaman. From that run, you expect Garth to have a daughter at some point, as the story originally dealt with time travel, before the plug was pulled and the plot threads were left to drift. I do like Garth's willingness to stand up to The Spectre, in this one, and was gratified to see him succeed against the ghost. Even if he did have some help. Better than some issues, despite the irritation. 3 starfish

0 comments: