Sunday, February 19, 2006

Splattered Thoughts

Warren Ellis insults the Nerd Prom in his typical fashion. Joss Whedon (yes, really) replies. I think I mentioned that I don't want to go to Nerd Prom, but not for the same reasons as Ellis.

Here's an excellent article on the instinctive mathematical ability of dogs.

Speaking of Math, I wasn't going to comment on the remarkably stupid column by Richard Cohen in the Washington Post, and now I don't have to. Dave said everything I would have said, much much better. I will say this: Algebra is extremely easy to understand: I have personally taught fourth graders with success, and we sell books in the store I work at that aim to teach first graders. And I'm one of the folks who had trouble with algebra in high school. Unfortunately, your success in algebra depends heavily on your teacher's ability to teach while saddled with insanely stupid curricula that emphasize real world over the basics. And it's a crying shame if you don't learn Calculus, which has got to be one of the most beautiful and elegant inventions of mankind.

And, speaking of teaching, hand-waving helps learning.

Free, legal, classical music downloads. My personal favorite piece is part of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Summer: Presto. This version isn't quite perfect, but it's good.

Geeks In Love. Via Kaja.

Colleen Doran wants a Danish: "For every person that brings a Danish Flag, button, or any product of Denmark, including a book or newspaper, I will give you a free head sketch and donate $1 to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund."

This story has shown up on both Boing Boing and Metafilter, and makes me incredibly angry every time I read about it. I don't quite agree with the public shaming idea, but I don't think the owner of the camera should give it up to the thieves.

0 comments: