Monday, November 20, 2006

Review Copy Review

Cover
Tony Loco by Mark Teague and Derek McCaw. Published by Illusive Arts.

I know what to expect from Illusive now, I thought before reading this book. Dorothy is a fascinating and well crafted tale with a unique art style. When I heard about Tony Loco, my first thought was simply, huh? It sounded so utterly unlike what I expected that I pretty much dismissed it as the infamous sophmore effort. I ordered a copy, more out of loyalty to the gang at Illusive than with any expectation of actually enjoying the book.

Despite having ordered the book, I gratefully accepted a review copy when offered, so I could give an opinion before the book actually hit the shelves. And ... let's just say it's taken me a long time to digest the book enough to feel up to writing about it.

This isn't an easy book to categorize. It promises to be adventure, but has horrific overtones. It also has mythic roots that show up in the artwork brilliantly. It's a very strange mix. To be completely honest, I really don't know what I think of it. I know I want to read the next issue, even if I'm not certain what I'm getting.

What I suspect, though? I suspect I'll be getting a fascinating and well crafted tale with a unique art style. After all, that's what Illusive is good at.

Bonus Rapid Review: Says the hubby-Eric, "Interesting premise, it's definitely set-up. I want to see what happens when Tony really gets going!"

UPDATE: There's a Preview of Tony Loco up on YouTube. Check it out for some samples of the artwork and the style.

0 comments: