Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ripples Through Time - 065

I'm reading every Aquaman solo adventure in publication order, one per day. After I read each story I'm going to post the cover/splash page and a few thoughts on the story.

Adventure #132 Aquaman Splash Page
Adventure #132 (September 1948) - The Aquagirl!

When millionaire Mark Windham sees a mermaid, he can't rest until Aquaman gets to the bottom of the mystery for him.

Back in Adventure #110, Aquaman says, "I've explored every ocean on Earth and never have I seen a mermaid!" In this story, Aquaman scoffs at Mark's certainty that he's seen a mermaid, and says "I've swum the seven seas and searched for all kinds of things, but this is the first time I've had to hunt for a mermaid!" No one is more surprised to find out that she exists than Aquaman.

Aquaman's suspicions are first roused when Thetis the Mermaid makes it clear that she has not "mastered the uncanny method of communication all sea creatures understand". He realizes that she's not a mermaid when her fishtail is caught by a stray fishhook and she doesn't feel pain.

Finny Friends Report: Porpoises bring word of a fire on a yacht, then carry Aquaman and Thetis to the disaster. A whale helps Aquaman put out the fire. Aquaman gets oyster friends to supply pearls for a priceless present for the bride.

Captured/Knocked Out report: Aquaman isn't captured or knocked out in this tale.

Quotefile: Mark's message in a bottle, "Aquaman: I have actually seen a mermaid three different time. My friends think I'm crazy - but I know I'm now. Please help me."

Have you read this story? What do you think?

0 comments: