Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Day In The Life

I TiVo both "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" because I like to watch them, but don't like staying up late or relying on repeats. Plus, being able to skip through commercials or the unfunny bits is nice. So yesterday afternoon I was watching the first "Colbert Report" back from the break, and Stephen Colbert was happily eating his ice cream. And I wondered why I still haven't found the flavor at any of my local grocery stores. So I went to Ben & Jerry's website, clicked on "New Flavors" and found "Stephen Colbert's AmeriCone Dream". I love the description:

Stephen Colbert's AmeriCone Dream is a decadent melting pot of vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and a caramel swirl. It's the sweet taste of liberty in your mouth.
Down at the bottom of the info page is a "Store Locator" and I put in our zip code to see if anyone local is carrying it at all yet. To my surprise, the only local grocery that is carrying it so far is the one grocery I never go to (because it's a little out of the way, not because I don't like them). I told hubby-Eric about my find (he's on Spring Break, sort of), and we went about our business until a few minutes later when hubby-Eric was at a loss for what he needed to get done. "What am I doing?" he asked rhetorically, and I responded, "Running down to the store to get me some AmeriCone Dream!" He immediately launched himself to the garage, and while I stumbled up from my chair to go after him, I heard the car pulling out and the garage closing. He was gone.

I stood in the garage in shock for a moment, never having thought he would take my joke even slightly seriously. I slowly went back to my computer, wondering if he was upset at me. When he got back a few minutes later, triumphantly brandishing the ice cream, I was grateful and a bit meek. We ended up having the ice cream for dessert last night. It was REALLY good. Nasty calorie level, but I planned for it, so it worked out.


This morning I got up at my usual time and jumped in the shower. I was rinsing my hair when it happened. I cleared the water from my eyes after the rinse and realized I couldn't see anything. Well, not clearly. The power went out while I was in the shower. I finished my shower, thankful that the water heater doesn't instantly cool the water when power outages happen, and went about my normal morning business as well as I could manage. No power means cold breakfast, which wasn't too difficult. No power means no internet, so I couldn't check my e-mail/blogs/comments. Annoying, but I could survive. No power means no heat, and that was a mild problem. The house was already chill because I hadn't turned on the heat yet, and work wasn't for another couple of hours. Light wasn't an issue, I opened the front windowshade and was able to read just fine. But I got more and more cold as I did so.

I considered driving to work early, but the van still has no heat (every time I get it fixed it breaks again) and if there was no one there I'd be no better. So I wrapped myself in a blanket and read "A Distant Soil", "Gone South", and "Unshelved Vol 1". Reviews coming. Along with a bunch of overdue reviews for Illusive Arts that I really ought to do soon before they think I don't love them anymore.

But this morning... no computer, no reviews. Just reading in the cold house. I finally left when I realized I could see my breath. The drive was uncomfortable because I started out cold and the van didn't heat up at all inside. I got to work a little early, but there were a couple of people already there. I stood in front of the heater until I'd thawed enough to start working while my co-workers expressed sympathy for my frozen state.


On the way home from work, I visited the comic shop as normal on Wednesdays. When I saw the stuff in my pull box I realized the shop had been shorted. Once again, a box "went astray" at UPS, and so over half the books hadn't arrived, including three of the four books I was in to get. However, the Doctor Who TARDIS 4 port USB hub had arrived! So at least the trip wasn't a complete waste (I can't get the freakin' twist ties out of the bottom of the hub, otherwise it ROCKS). I also turned in the Apr/Jun order form.

I intended to stop by McD's for lunch and get another Happy Meal toy for hubby-Eric, but once I was on my way to McD's I realized I couldn't stomach the thought, and headed home to make lunch instead. But I was still in a junk food mood to some extent, so I talked poor hubby-Eric into ordering out a pizza for dinner. Papa John's has a tax day deal, large pizza for $10.40, so we pre-ordered one for the time Eric gets home from his night job (which is why he's only sort of on Spring Break). All of which takes us full circle from yesterday's ice cream run.