Thursday, May 31, 2007

Linkadinkadoo

Jeff Parker on canon. We get really worked up about canon in fandom. Ridiculously so. I think Jeff's approach is great.

The Math of Doctor Who companions.

LiveJournal just purged a bunch of journals, many of them wrongly, for keywords. While I don't object to their goal, their methods leave much to be desired. MetaFilter reports that the group responsible for the action is a shady spyware company. Slashdot also weighs in.

Google Maps is Spying on my Cat. What expectation of privacy do we have in regards to Google's new Street View? Scoble contributes his understanding.

LOLGoogleCat. And Wired's street-level images.

When was your house built? MetaFilter tells you where you can see.

Boston and the Fax Scare. *sigh* Bank of America needs to examine the brains of the person who created that flyer.

Making Light nails a plagiarist.

"Remember, children: 1. Email is forever. 2. Anonymity isn't. 3. The Internet never forgets. And the new and improved Golden Rule: "Never write anything on the Internet that you wouldn't want an angry lawyer to read.""

How long before this stupid Doctor Who rumor is exterminated? Oh, it's already been? Good.

Who is selling my e-mail address? I'll tell you that now that I have my own domain, I set up individual e-mail accounts for all my on-line bills and such. I know right away when someone has sold my address.

Just because iTunes dropped DRM, doesn't mean they dropped identification. Every track you download from iTunes has details of who downloaded it. To be completely honest, I have no problem with that. As long as I can move the files to a new computer when I get it, I don't mind. DRM generally blocks the usefulness of files, this doesn't.

Speaking of DRM, next key already released. When will corporations figure out that they have lost this race? "DRM takes years and costs millions to develop. It is generally broken in days, by hobbyists, for free."

The Government scares me. A meat company wants to test all their cows for disease, but the Bush Administration wants to stop them. They want to stop VOLUNTARY TESTING for mad cow disease. Why? The only reason I can think of is to give an unfair advantage to the larger corporations who don't want to compete with fully tested meat.

Another Pug for the in-laws.

And I've started to read The Case Against Homework by Sara Bennett and Nancy Kalish. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm totally agreeing with what I'm reading so far. They aren't arguing for abolishing homework, just reducing it to reasonable levels. And they've got lots of evidence to back up their argument. I'll write more when I finish it.

0 comments: