Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Oops

Yup, I managed to completely wipe out the Windows XP installation on the old computer when I installed Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong, and I'll give it another try after I finish playing with Ubuntu enough to get familiar with it. By that, I mean I intend to re-install Windows XP, and try to set up a dual-boot system. All in anticipation of eventually setting up a dual-boot on my regular laptop. While it was mildly annoying to lose XP on the old computer, it would have been a major disaster to lose it on the regular one. I did good in deciding to do a dry run with the old computer. I need to understand Ubuntu before I move to it for more than playing.

Speaking of... I have a program called "Keyring Manager" that came automatically installed on Ubuntu. Which is nifty and all, but I don't know what it does. So I went to the Help->About, and found this: "A tool to manage the information stored in your keyrings." Um. Not useful. Help->Contents: I see a link to "Introduction". Good... click on it... Here's the total entry: "Welcome!" Not useful. I still don't have a clue what a keyring is, or why I need a manager for them.

So I have a ways to go before I'm going to use Ubuntu on a regular basis. I will say this for it, though, it runs WAY faster on the old computer than XP.

0 comments: