Sunday, August 03, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? - It came down to the two that Eric called at the very beginning. And either of them would be great in the role. However, Eric's favorite was NOT the winner. I was surprised.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Bar Foods" - Didn't really see much in this one that made me hungry. I guess I'm not much of a bar girl.
  • Food Detectives: "5-Second Rule" - Not much I didn't know in the first two segments: milk is best for combatting spicy food burn, and the 5-second rule is bunk. The final segment, on activated charcoal versus baking soda, was new to me. But it's a fun show, and I'll enjoy it if we can continue to watch it.
  • History Detectives - Another good episode with the Hindenburg disaster and the Bonus Army. I thought we'd seen the last segment before, but the first two seemed new to us.
  • The Next Food Network Star: "Finale" - The mini-pilots made me a believer. All three could put on a good show, and I wouldn't be surprised if the two who didn't win get picked up by Food Network or some other channel. We actually put the new show into the TiVo, that's how impressed we were by the finale.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Burgers and Dogs" - I would eat at any of those places, to be completely honest with you, and probably not complain. Well, except about being too full to try everything.
Comics this week:
  • Girl Genius Vol 7 - I originally intended to just flip through it to check the quality, having already read the whole thing online. An hour later I lifted my head to realize I'd been reading steadily. Yeah, get this. Get all the volumes.
  • Supernatural Law #45 - The Toxic Avenger gets sued, so guess who is on the case? Not bad at all.
  • Green Lantern #33 - Despite it all, I'm actually beginning to get drawn into this story.
  • Justice Society of America Annual #1 - Mmmm, Earth-2 yummy goodness.
  • Northlanders #8 - Huh, not the ending I was expecting from this one. I wonder what will happen next?
  • Fantastic Four: True Story #1 - This is a meta-tale of fictional characters taking a dive into fiction. Seems very Doctor Who to me... which is just as well, as Doctor Who writer Paul Cornell is responsible for it.
This week's library movie was A Mighty Wind. We walked down to the library and browsed the sparse DVD shelf. This was the only movie that stood out enough to pick up. And it's very good! It was funny and nicely musical. A good light comedy for a stressful time for us.

I got another issue of Fortean Times this week, and have already read it through. There's a fantastic article debunking The White Witch of Rose Hall. The Illuminati article was illuminating, if sparse. I love the report on the latest UK UFO sightings, especially how tongue-in-cheek it is. The idea of a wildcat with a spike on its tail is very strange, but the article was solid. As usual, the reviews were good, and I put a couple more books on my "to read" list. Let's hope I can get them through interlibrary loan. My only complaint is that the back cover, featuring a bunch of strategically posed naked people, was a little too risque for my tastes. Now, I hope my subscription will transfer to the new address without difficulties.

0 comments: