Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Ghost Hunters: "Iron Island" - Wow. That's one grumpy ghost. And after what Tango said to him, I wouldn't blame him for being even grumpier. As always, the sound was overproduced, and the investigation way too short.
  • Destination Truth: "Yowie; Haunted Mosque" - Two very inconclusive expeditions, but I love the way the team works together, and I love Josh's continued snarkiness. I'd love to see the Ghost Hunters tackle that Mosque.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "No Pork, No Pressure" - Ok, Symon comes into his own on this one. Kosher meal is bad enough, but Kosher for Passover is even harder for a guy who really likes his pigmeat.
  • Iron Chef America: "Flay vs Cardoz" - I can honestly say there is no way I would eat those dishes. Yes, nature's little protein bars, but not something I want to try.
  • Food Detectives: "Poppy Seeds" - I always heard it as 15 minutes after eating before swimming. And I knew about poppy seeds and positive drug test results, I just didn't know the test had been changed to allow for it. I wonder if the food techs do not talk because they would get paid if they did? I don't like Saltines, so I definitely would fail that last challenge. And I liked the info on eggs. Useful.
  • Destination Truth: "Orang Pendek; Worm Monster" - I think they need to pack a GPS in the future. My biggest issue with this show is that the expeditions are so short. I wish they'd spend a little more time on each case.
  • Ghost Hunters: "So She Married an Axe Murderer" - I love the tours at the beginning. And the meter they were using to get yes/no answers was very cool, but like Grant I'm not sure I believe it. "If it walks like a duct..." Huh, you don't expect a phone booth stuffing in a ghost hunt. That second place seemed very tame, especially with the spectacular legend surrounding it.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "Mother's Day Madness" - Maybe they should've gone to a closer store.
  • Big Daddy's House: "Mentor Madness" - Man, I wanna try that Sweet Potato pie!
  • Ace of Cakes: "Gone to the Dogs" - Cotton is really cute. I think Geof likes freaking people out, though. The Enterprise cake was cool, but I wouldn't eat the hot dog cake.
  • History Detectives: "Shipwreck Cannons; Connecticut Farmhouse; Kahlil Gibran Painting" - I remember hearing about those cannons when they were first discovered. I was even tempted to drive down and check them out myself. The other two stories were ok, but the local interest of the first story overshadowed them.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "A Taste of Everywhere" - While I wouldn't avoid any of those places, none of them stood out as places I would go out of my way to visit.
  • Food Detectives: "Hangover Cures" - This episode just reinforced my inclination to never drink. It was rather nasty to the poor food techs. Also, I don't think I ever want lemons in my drink again.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "Block Party Blowout" - I wanna live on that block. Oh, Yum! But that bit at the end was just uncalled for.
While there were more shows I watched this week, since I'm covering the last THREE weeks of TV, I think I'll just move on to comic books now.

Comics this week:
  • Noble Causes #36: "End Game" - Bring back Liz.
  • Green Lantern #34: "Secret Origin Part 6" - Um. Ok. Have I mentioned that I'm not really that interested in the retcon of the Green Lanterns? I guess this all leads into Blackest Night.
  • Green Lantern Corps #28: "Eye of the Beholder Part Two" - Ok, not too bad. But if I were a rookie GL I would still be a bit disturbed by the situation.
  • Super Friends #7: "Just My Luck" - Aquaman in skateboard gear. SQUEE!
  • Doctor Who Classics #10 - Two complete stories, one very short but still good. Ok, the Doctor cheats, but still... And I had remembered Sharon's fate, so I wasn't surprised. These stories have never looked so good. I'm enjoying this series.

0 comments: