Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Destination Truth: "Haunted Cave; Burrunjor" - I don't think Josh does hauntings very well. And haunted caves are really difficult, with all the background noise (water dripping, echoes). The Australian bit was great, I wonder what animal they were actually messing with there?
  • Ghost Hunters: "The Boy In The Brothel" - Interesting voices they heard. I thought they might be someone's toys or something, except a toy that makes that sound would be completely out of place at the Inn. I think the second investigation might just be another "fear cage" place. They should check each location for high EMF readings before they even turn out the lights.
  • Smallville: "Odyssey" - Aquaman! Aquaman aquaman aquaman, aquaman aquaman aquaman aquaman. Aquaman! Oh, and did I mention Aquaman? Massive plot hole at the end of the episode (how did everyone else escape, eh?) but otherwise, AQUAMAN!
  • Ace of Cakes: "Frogs to Turkey and Everything In Between" - Now, a really good Turducken cake would have different flavors of cake representing each layer of stuffedness. The frogs were entirely too cute.
  • History Detectives: "Blueprint Special; Monroe Letter; Atocha Spanish Silver" - The blueprint special was very cool, I hope they allowed the guy to see the original script they found. The Monroe letter was even more interesting, and I can see how she got the wrong words out of it, even if the investigator couldn't. It's all in what you are looking for.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Better Than Ever" - I'd go to the last two places. But overall, just not impressed.
  • Ghost Hunters: "Speaking With The Dead" - I want to play with a K2 meter so I can figure out what makes it light up like that. It's an Electro-Magnetic Field detector, but I don't understand the tech enough to figure out why it would detect "ghosts", much less why it lights up at all.
  • Destination Truth: "Ahool; Pintatubo" - The Ahool definitely sounds like a mistaken owl of some sort. Interesting how much Josh and crew have been in Indonesia the last few episodes. The Pintatubo one was terrifying because of the mercury levels of the water.
  • Food Detectives: "Dirty Bar Snacks" - I was a little surprised that the bar snacks weren't more dirty, but I gather the cleanliness of food depends on the cleanliness of people around you. The energy drinks one was a slight surprise, I wish they'd emphasized the duration of the boost as well. And I'm not inclined to cook with liquid nitrogen, so that was only vaguely interesting.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "Crayon Craziness" - BLUE! Considering the challenge, I think he did pretty well on this one. And I wouldn't mind trying that creamed corn with bacon. Yummy.
  • Ace of Cakes: "Get Cake" - Some fun cakes in this one, but the phone booth was HUGE. I mean, that was a monster of a cake.
  • Heroes: "The Second Coming/The Butterfly Effect" - Was it just me, or was there an enormous plot hole right in the middle of this two-episode premier? (SPOILER ALERT!)(END SPOILER) I'm just not impressed. Yet.
I haven't yet watched this week's Smallville, nor have I read any comic books this week (*whimper*) as they are all across the mountain waiting in my old pull box. My mail order service doesn't start up until next month. I do have a couple of issues of Fortean Times to finish and comment on, and now that I have a library card in the local system I'll be trying to get my hands on Agatha Christie books to finish my reading. I also have other books I'm trying out. And hubby-Eric and I will start watching movies on Friday nights again once he's more settled into his job. I hope. Watch this space.

0 comments: