Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Iron Chef America: "First Thanksgiving" - A lot of great ingredients. I wasn't sure about the direction that my favorite team went, but it was still interesting to see what they did with the foods.
  • Heroes: "It's Coming" - Hiro's pranks almost made this episode worth watching.
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Terror on Dinosaur Island" - The Gentleman Ghost is one of my favs. Fun to see him in this. Along with Fire! But the real showdown between Grodd and Plas was just lovely. I can hardly wait for the next episode.
  • Smallville: "Bride" - Doomsday looks pretty good.
  • Ghost Hunters: "Recycled Souls" - Again with the loud voice that sounds like it came out of a speaker or something. I like that they showed them looking for a speaker, as well. The magnetized dinnerware was a strange twist in the second investigation.
  • Primeval: First two episodes - Cryptozoology with Time Travel. Really, do I need to say more? I'm liking it, yeah.



Although I got both comic books AND another Fortean Times this week, I haven't actually had time to read any of them thanks to a new obsession that's been driving my life. So they'll have to wait until next week to be reviewed. If I get them done by then.



This week's movie was Sliding Doors, a look at a woman's life if she misses/doesn't miss a subway train. The two realities are presented intermixed, and it is not difficult to track which one is which. The Monty Python references are good, and not overdone. Overall, a good popcorn movie. Worth a cheap rental or library, but not something I'd buy.



My library book this week was Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway. This book was recommended by the Unshelved Book Club, which has some pretty good books listed. This one is about a girl who becomes famous when her ex-boyfriend writes a song about their breakup. It's a fun book, written from a teenager's perspective and with a teenager's voice. I think it's a solid read, and would be better if I were into music as deeply as Audrey is. I won't say the cat is the best part of the book, but Bendomolena definitely added a certain weight to the story. Recommended.



Agatha Christie this week was The Mysterious Mr. Quin from 1930. This is the first appearance of Mr Harley Quin, in an anthology of linked short stories. Of course, Quin isn't really the focus of the stories. He's just the catalyst. The main character is the charming Mr. Satterthwaite, who quickly became my favorite Agatha Christie character of all. That was slightly spoiled by the final story, which gets a bit depressing as it explores the nature of Quin and makes Satterthwaite face some serious truths, but I still love the character. This is the best Christie book so far, in my opinion.



0 comments: