Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Numb3rs: "Conspiracy Theory" - Slightly confusing, very tense, and hard to tell what side anyone was on at any one time. In other words, an excellent episode!
  • Heroes: "Our Father" - I watch the show, but it doesn't stick with me. I don't feel like I care much about what happens to the characters. In this one, it was sort of... "ok, yeah. What now?"
  • Ghost Hunters: "Spirits of the Water" - Two investigations on a boat. I've spent a little bit of time on boats in port. Strange sounds are normal. They accounted for some of them, but I'm not sure that others couldn't have been accounted for as well. Still, "Get off my boat" was fun.
  • Ghost Hunters: "Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse" - What is it about lighthouses? I liked this one. I want to visit an historic lighthouse someday, no matter if it's haunted or not.
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Invasion of the Secret Santas" - More Blue Beetle, and the Sportsmaster to start us off! The Red Tornado was the main team-up, though, and this interpretation was mildly amusing in a "let's do Data from Star Trek!" sort of way. I prefer the real Red Tornado Ma Hunkel anyway. Still, this is one of those fun shows that makes you laugh and cringe at the same time.
  • Battlestar Galactica: "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" - Ok, so is Tigh's wife a Cylon? Don't answer that! The further this show goes, the more I wonder just what the plan of the Cylons really is. They should have already been able to destroy the humans. They've held back. So why?
  • Sarah Jane Adventures: "Enemy Of The Bane" - A little too much time was spent on the whole Wormword/Luke relationship, in my opinion. I think a couple of cuts in those scenes would have made the whole thing move a bit faster, and improved the story. It wasn't the best episode to end the season on, but the return of an old friend made it a fun one.



This week's movie was Speed Racer! And what a movie! Grab some popcorn and sit back for a visual feast. This is one movie I actually wish I'd seen on the big screen, despite my distaste of movie theaters. This is just one massive thrill ride, with enough story in there to make it worth watching for more than just the fun. It runs a little long, but it wasn't bad... and by the end I was really getting into the races. This is corny, silly, fast-paced, and surprisingly good. Don't go in expecting high art, and you'll like it too.



My library book this week was The Sharing Knife: Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold. Well, she did it. She made me as interested in a character's fate as I've been in Miles Vorkosigan. By the time I was halfway through this book I didn't want to put it down. I want to know what is going to happen to Dag, and what he's going to discover. I want to know if he'll succeed on his quest, or face more failure. I want to know what other people he'll gather around him, and if he can make enough changes to help win the war. When I finished Legacy, I was not nearly as interested as I am now, so I guess I have to say that Bujold hit her stride with these characters in this book, for me. Now I want the next book, but it's not out for another month or so, and who knows when the library system will get it in... *sigh* I guess that's it for the Bujold kick for now.



Agatha Christie this week was Peril at End House, written in 1932 and starring Poirot and Hastings. I got all the clues, but I didn't put them together. I had one fleeting thought of the solution, but as usual discarded it as a possibility. I must not do that! Christie plays on her readers' expectations, and that's why she so often fools us.



I also read The Cat Who Blew the Whistle by Lilian Jackson Braun. It was... different. Agatha Christie is like pure chocolate. The Braun books are like chocolate covered nuts. They are both good, but there are a lot of non-mystery aspects to the Braun stories, which is jolting after being immersed in Christie. Braun's book was more like a soap opera with a mystery happening in the background. No doubt it's a great book if you've read the rest and know what's happening. Jumping into the middle like this... well, I got enough context to follow the book, but not quite enough to enjoy it. I may seek out this series from the beginning some day, which I think would be the best way to get into it.



0 comments: