Monday, January 05, 2009

Webcam Madness

Ok, I'm determined to get a webcam for monitoring the house and outside weather while I'm away. Problem is, I can't find exactly what I need from simple Google searches. So I'm hoping somebody who reads this either knows something or knows where I can start to find out...

I want a very simple webcam that takes pictures every 5 minutes or so. I don't need heavy-duty live security... I just want to know that the house is still standing. So I plan on aiming the camera out a window at the garage and driveway, which will show me the weather. And if the house is still standing, the camera will still be taking pictures, right? So I need a reliable camera.

The problem is that I don't have an extra computer to hook the webcam up to, so it needs to be able to send images directly through the router to a website on my domain.

I've found plenty of wireless cameras that fit the bill, but most of them are WAY more than I want. They include audio and full video. I only need still pics, audio is ridiculous and streaming video is overkill. I don't need a full-blown petcam, just a good ol' webcam.

Does anyone know if something like this is even made? And if so, where can I get some reviews or information about it?

Help?

0 comments: