Thursday, August 06, 2009

My New Job, and Fibromyalgia

As was pointed out in the comments of my last post, I haven't really told anyone about getting a new job yet. I guess that's because I still feel like I'm on probation and haven't really gotten going at it yet. But I suppose I can give you all a quick outline.

In short, I'm ghostwriting. That's a very cool name for a possibly tedious job. I'm finding it to be a great deal of fun, mostly because I'm also getting to do a lot of research on subjects I'm interested in. It's the perfect job for me because of the research, the writing, and the flexibility. I'm able to work at home, which is almost a requirement for me now.

And the reason for that is my fibromyalgia, which makes me unreliable if on a steady schedule. Last night a thunderstorm moved into this area, and when I woke this morning I was in such awful pain I wanted to die. For several hours I just lay on my bed until I could get my body moving. I was functional for a few hours, then another storm moved through and I was in screaming agony again. As I write this, the worst of it seems to have passed, but my weather-related torture may return at any time.

Luckily for me, I had a particularly productive work day yesterday, and got two days of work done on my current contract. That meant I was able to slack off today and let the fog of fibro take my brain. Being able to feel productive despite the fibro is something I haven't had in a long time, and I treasure it.

My current contract is a small one, and doesn't require too much time each day. I'm planning on taking multiple and/or bigger contracts as I get more confident at this job, but at the moment I'm very glad I decided to start slow.

Anyway, that's the story. I have a lot I want to write, but now that I'm actually working again and enjoying it, I'm finding it a little harder to take time to blog. I hope you all don't mind... and I hope you'll keep tabs on me while I search for balance.

0 comments: