Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Sunday Review

Much less time for TV and other media this week, as I've been working hard and had houseguests for half the week. So I've been busy, and only got a couple of shows watched and three short books read. I must say, Agatha Christie is addictive, and these young adult novels I've been snacking on are a lot of fun. Any book I can zip through in an hour and feel like I got a couple hours worth of fun out of is a good book, in my opinion.



TV this week:
  • 10 Dollar Dinners: "Perfectly Priced Parisian" - The thing I like most about Melissa is that she makes me feel like I can make what she's making. I want to try her pie crust, and the bacon tip she gave is just excellent. And that dessert isn't something I would have thought of, but I bet I'd enjoy it. Yup, I think they got a winner here.
  • Being Human: "Episode 3" - Now Annie the ghost has a mentor. As George said, that worked out so well the last time. And George's love life is... well, that was... um... interesting.



My library book this week was Ranger's Apprentice Book Four: The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan. Third book in a trilogy, and not a bad ending for all that. I liked the way various plot threads were tied up, while still setting up for future ideas. I also like how the characters seem to be growing, taking on new roles and learning new skills. The plot seems to be moving along nicely and usually in unexpected ways. I'm enjoying this series.



Another book I read this week was Gregor And The Marks Of Secret by Suzanne Collins, Book Four in the Underland Chronicles. Gregor is growing up, and the Underland is much more a part of his life now. A secret prophecy saves the team's butts just at the right moment. But the book has an underlying annoying aspect with a prophecy that no one will talk about. When you consider that every other prophecy is practically shoved down Gregor's throat, that's a little ominous. Now I'm going to have to go get the final book in the series immediately.



Agatha Christie this week was Death Comes as the End from 1944. This is an unusual murder mystery story, because it's set in ancient Egypt! Christie's interest in archaeology is given life in this tale about a daughter of a mortuary priest who witnesses some terrible events. The mystery is typical Christie in almost every respect. The various suspects with their possible motives, the misdirection for the reader's sake that leads to first one theory and then another. My clue for readers of Christie books is that if the characters start discussing someone as the possible culprit, look elsewhere. I liked this one, the unusual setting added a little to the hunt for reasons behind the actions. All-in-all a surprisingly normal read for Christie books.



0 comments: