Sunday, October 04, 2009

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Ghost Hunters: "A Bat Out of Hell" - Meatloaf is a very sharp questioner, and a VERY enthusiastic ghost hunter. I was impressed by the location, but not by the evidence they found. Not much there. The K2 meter, which measures electromagnetic fields, doesn't mean what they think it means: while the coincidences of getting "answers" were nice, I'm just not convinced it's anything more than random flare-ups. Now, the spiders... and Meatloaf jumping at Steve after he was creeped out by a spider was just lovely.
  • Destination Truth: "Ghosts of Chernobyl; Sal'awa" - They seriously got permission to spend the night at Pripyat? And then they got through the checkpoints? Dining at the Chernobyl cafeteria? Ok, as much as I wish Josh would stop with the ghost hunting, this is incredible. Just to see that much video of the place. Wow. As for the Sal'awa in Egypt, that's a pretty good cryptid search. I think they may have hit upon the correct identification of the beast, but it sure seemed like anything at all could've been in those dense sugarcane fields.
  • Heroes: "Ink" - Matt's dilemma is the most interesting of the plotlines, but I prefer Hiro and Ando's tale. So I'm annoyed they aren't in this one.
  • Numb3rs: "Friendly Fire" - The rot at the heart. The uncertainty of life. Where is Larry headed? And how much longer can Don handle the heartbreak? Again, not enough math. Lots of techie and goofiness, but not enough math concepts. The drama is good, but I wish we had more of the math.



This week's comic book related review is Boody: The Bizarre Comics of Boody Rogers edited by Craig Yoe. This is not a book that I would have purchased for myself, but I'm glad to have read it. Getting the occasional review copy is the incredibly nice thing about having a blog. This book has one of the most appropriate titles of any book I have ever read. These comics are bizarre. They are goofy, light-hearted, and truly absolutely bizarre. One story seemed to end very abruptly, but otherwise the stories were strange and self-contained. Worth a look if you like old comics.



My library book this week was The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham. Just like all the others in this quartet of books, The Price of Spring starts 15 years after the previous book and focuses on the lives of Maati and Otah. After the last book tore up their lives, the characters have spent 15 years trying to pull everything back together again. And as the story progressed I saw how everything could be saved, but wasn't sure, due to what happened in the last book, if it was going to happen that way. When it did, I was both gratified and a tiny bit disappointed. In some ways, this was the most predictable of the books, but it also brought a full sense of closure. Overall, I loved this series and will look out for other stories by Daniel Abraham. If you have the chance, give this series a read, starting with A Shadow in Summer, then A Betrayal in Winter, followed by An Autumn War, and ending with this one.



Agatha Christie this week was Taken at the Flood from 1948 (aka There Is a Tide). A man killed in WWII leaves behind a widow and a family who expected to rely on his generosity for their futures, but something very odd is happening that draws Poirot into the fray. Wow, that was an unexpected twist. But then, most of the twists are unexpected for me. As usual, I had completely the wrong person fingered as the guilty party. I knew I had the wrong person when I realized Christie was leading me to believe he was the one. ARGH!



0 comments: