Sunday, November 01, 2009

Hallowe'en Notes for Next Year

Ok, this year was extraordinary because of the perfect weather, full moon, and the day falling on Saturday. I suspect 500 will be enough for next year, although it never hurts to have a bit extra. If anyone wants to donate age-appropriate comic books, I'll take 'em. We couldn't afford the ashcan packs this year, but we might be able to next year if life treats us well.

Candy: anything squishable, like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, are not a good idea. Also, Whoppers were very unpopular because they look so small compared to everything else. They weren't, they just looked that way due to the packaging. Pure chocolate was most popular, snickers and kitkat close seconds.

Lights behind me inside the house were a hit. Kids LOVED it. Little kids were entranced, older kids thought it was cool. The display was lame by my standards, but it worked. The Candied Apple candles made for a strong atmosphere inside the house, as well. All said, I think I hit the right tone with the lights I had up.

Handing out candy: need something to kneel on. I tower over many adults in this area, the kids are tiny compared to me. But this morning my legs are in sheer agony from all the kneeling I did to be on the kids' level instead of looming over them.

I wish I had a livecam to share the crowds with people on the internet. Since I really want to get a cam to put up anyway, maybe I'll manage this some year. I think it would be fun to have a "spot the doublers" and "watch for hover-parents" contest on my blog. If I do get a cam, I need to record the night for sure!

I want to laminate my signs. The "Trick-or-Treaters Welcome... Beware the Monster Under the House, Though... He Likes Trick-or-Treaters Too... Dipped in Chocolate" sign got a LOT of amused squeals. I want to put it out at the end of the porch under the garage light instead of on the door next year so kids can read it. Maybe I can make it look like there is a hole that a monster could climb out from as well... someday.

I'm trying to remember what superheroes I got... Lots and lots of Spider-Man and Batman, a few Captain America, Superman, Hulk, and Wonder Woman. No Aquaman, no surprise. Lots of Japanese anime style heroes. Not many of the old standards. I swear I saw a Wicked Witch of the West, but I couldn't say that for sure. There was a Care Bear. Lots of "Day of the Dead" type white makeup with black outfits.

Need to have some canned food and pocket change near the door next year for the folks collecting for charity.

Now if I can just remember to look at this blog entry before getting prepped next year... *sigh*

0 comments: