Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Ghost Hunters Academy: "Back to Basics" - These guys really aren't doing the set-up very well, are they? I suspect they haven't been practicing it, which, frankly, is needed with that kind of tech. I'm not a fan of the reality TV side of this, with the whole someone getting kicked off the team thing. However, I expected the one who got booted to be the first who would get booted. Not much ghost hunting in this show, just team building.
  • Ghost Lab: "Watery Grave" - They are testing a theory that weather may affect hauntings. Another one that would be difficult to test. They go to Galveston and visit a hotel built on a beach where many hurricane victims washed up after the big storm of 1900. Of course, the weather was perfect. Then they visit the Presidio La Bahia, where Texas soldiers were massacred in 1836 after being promised safe passage for surrendering. This was a good history lesson for me, although the dramatic reenactment was very strange. On the third day they get a massive storm and are able to measure the changes in EMF that they consider "food" for ghosts. There's still a huge leap from high EMF readings to paranormal activity, but at least that seemed slightly more scientific than some of what they do.
  • Ghost Hunters Academy: "Drama Queen" - Still annoying interpersonal interaction. But hey, the set-up went well! I liked Steve and Tango's tricks. I also like how it was presented on the show, with it first being shown as unknown, then the split-screen showing them pulling their trick. No ghosties in this one, though.
  • Ghost Hunters: "Mark Twain House" - I want to visit that place. Very nice. As Grant says at the end, just visiting the house was awesome, it didn't matter if they caught any evidence or not. And, as it turned out, they may have caught something... but their DVR drive died completely and they lost a lot of data. Oh well, things happen. I really don't think ghosts can be proven to the satisfaction of science anyway, but it's still a sad loss. And this is a fun show to watch.
  • Heroes: "The Fifth Stage" - Claire and Gretchen at the carnival was fun, but I absolutely don't trust Samuel. I think Gretchen has the right idea. Noah's adventure was interesting and bad. And Peter... poor Peter.
  • Robin Hood: "Do You Love Me?" - What an utterly nasty version of Prince John. I mean, this guy is a sociopath. And I'm liking Isabella more in some ways. Her utter disappointment when her brother appears instead of the sheriff was lovely.



Here are reviews of the DCBS comic book shipment that arrived this week, of books originally released November 18th and 25th:
  • Justice Society of America 80 Page Giant #1 - That was a confusing mess. But hey, we get a new Ma Hunkel story, so I think I'll tolerate it.
  • Super Friends #21 - I love the Aquaman on the cover. As for the interior story, well, it's cool to see the Queen of Fables, and the mythic match-ups were decent.
  • Tiny Titans #22 - Introducing Offspring! Who eats Aqua-Oh's for breakfast! I love this book even when Aqualad isn't in it.
  • Powers Encyclopedia Vol 1 - I want to emphasize that I have not fully read this. It's very very wordy. But I think it'll come in handy as the new series begins. Definitely something that can help readers remember characters in a complex series like this.

  • Blackest Night #5 - A little bit of Mera, not enough, but a little. That final splash is what I'd call "not good".
  • Green Lantern #48 - This clearly needs to be read before Blackest Night #5. Where's the checklist that tells you what order to read these in? Grrr.
  • Justice League of America #39 - Vibe. Really. Vibe. Actually, the most creepy bit of all was what Doctor Light was doing when Kimiyo approached him.
  • Justice League: Cry For Justice #5 - What happens to Roy is a bit brutal, and I'm not even going to pretend I understand that final splash.
  • Justice Society of America #33 - I think I'd figured out what was coming with the team, but the story along the way is still very good. I want to know what's up with All-American Kid. Seriously, what did I miss there?
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold #11 - Oooh, the Terrible Trio! I'm afraid that Green Arrow isn't my favorite guest in this book (or the show), but it was an okay story.
  • Northlanders #22 - Brutal. And I get cold just reading it.
  • Powers #1 - And yup, the Powers Encyclopedia helped to figure out what had happened before. Very useful. Good issue, but I really don't want to read the letter column... too dangerous.
  • The Tick: New Series #1 - Well, it's better than the so-called "manga". Which really isn't saying much, so I guess I'll say it was halfway decent.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #124 - A good start to what promises to be an interesting little tale. I wonder, a little, what Usagi is up to... in that I wonder at his method, not his motive nor his heart.



Agatha Christie this week was They Do it with Mirrors from 1952, published in America as Murder with Mirrors. An old school friends asks Miss Marple to check in on her idealistic sister, and soon murders start to happen. I am proud to say that I figured this one out. Early, too. My initial guess was right, though based on a non-story reason. As the story progressed I just got more and more sure I was right, and expected a complete turnaround at the end. But instead of a turnaround, my guess was confirmed... but I got the motive just a bit wrong. If I'd stopped before the end of the book and thought it through for a week or so I would have got the motive right as well, because I had all the pieces. So, I haven't really solved an Agatha Christie 100% before the reveal, but I can at least say I've come pretty darn close a couple of times, now.



0 comments: