Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Sunday Review

Not much on TV this week, and I've only just begun to read the comic books from December, so it's a very light review week...



This week's comic book related review was Dragonbreath: Curse of the Were-wiener by Ursula Vernon. Danny the dragon and his iguana friend Wendell have to deal with a very dangerous hot dog in the school cafeteria. This one breaks the established pattern of going off to visit Danny's relative via the awesome bus system, but it still manages to get a great little trip in as well as a genuine climatic fight. I'm looking forward to the fourth book, coming out in March.



My book this week was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and translated by Reg Keeland. My mother-in-law, who has fantastic reading tastes, loaned this book to me with a warning that the violence in it was graphic, although necessary for the story. The story focuses on an industrial family and their dark secrets, and a financial reporter hired to solve a decades old mystery. The first half of the book was fairly slow as the situations were set up in great detail, but eventually the action started to pick up. As for the violence... yikes. This book is very much about abuse. In particular, the abuse of women in Sweden and the inability of women to fight back legally. There are a couple of other types of abuse (the poor cat!) but it's mostly the abuse of women. I don't plan on seeing the movie, although I won't avoid it, but I might try to check out the second and third book eventually. If only because the end of this one left the title character on something of a cliffhanger. Definitely not a book for everyone, but I understand why it's a bestseller.



0 comments: