Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Sunday Review

Recent TV:

  • Doctor Who: "A Town Called Mercy" - I could have written the plot of this one out as soon as the set-up was obvious. That's not to say it wasn't good, it was just very predictable for the most part.
  • Doctor Who: "The Power of Three" - Except for the Brigadier's daughter, a fairly forgetable episode. It started out very promising, then took an "ancient threat" turn for the worse that made it lose impact. Meh.
  • Doctor Who: "The Angels Take Manhattan" - I'd been hearing spoilers about this one for weeks, so the events were not surprising, although the way they played out was nicely done. For the first time since Blink I found the angels to be scary again.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 22nd
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #12 - Just take the bad guy's ship and that's the end? What a letdown.
  • Fables #120 - Ok, this is just a little beyond too much any more. I don't know what will happen next, and I'm not sure I want to. Yikes.
  • Aug 29th
  • Justice League #12 - Well... I like Aquaman's reasoning. But then, I would. Low blow from Batman. I'm not sure what to think of the preview of future stories, but hey, Atlantis attacks is always the rage, I'm told.
  • Justice League International Annual #1 - Anything that has to do with Booster and time manipulation makes me hope for ... well, a don't suppose a complete restoration of the real DCU is possible, but maybe a rewriting of DC52. Or something. Maybe. Eventually.
  • Aquaman #12 - Oh. Well. Not sure... there's a lot of conflicting bits in this one. I think there's more going on here than appears on the surface. So, will we get into those deeper waters, or is it just going to move on to something else after the story concludes in two months?
  • Green Lantern Annual #1 - So the little blue guys figured out what's causing chaos and decide to eradicate it with an age-old science fiction method. Boring.
  • Batman Beyond Unlimited #7 - So we finally get the origin of Aquagirl, and it explains the absence of Aquaman in Justice League Beyond very nicely. Besides the fact that Aquaman is old, of course. I wonder about Artie, Jr. in this universe.
  • Superman Family Adventures #4 - Did that red Kryptonite leave Titano the way I think it did? *giggle*
  • Young Justice #19 - I'm kind of agreeing with Superboy in not liking apes. I wish there was more Aqualad in this one.
  • Powers #11 - Well, that didn't go well, did it? Without an established universe and a status quo to return to, this is one of the more exciting super-hero books on the market.
  • Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who: Assimilation #4 - That was one plot twist that fans of Doctor Who could have seen coming. Now, which way will the Doctor jump?
  • Steed and Mrs Peel Ongoing #0 - Nothing could have the suave of the original TV series, but this does try very hard. It falls a little short with some weaknesses in storytelling in the art, some poor jumps in the story and a distinct lack of theme music.
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #6 - Oh, oh, that is too funny! What a great way to deal with the witch. Truly hilarious. Now, did Dorothy actually see her aunt and uncle? It's not precisely clear what happened there.



0 comments: