Sunday, September 09, 2012

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who: "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" - Not bad... not bad. I thought the interaction between Rory and the Doctor was particularly good in this one. And I liked the Doctor's other "companions". Rory's dad was awesome. The robots were cute. And there were some nice moments of suspense. Not the greatest, but certainly decent.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jul 25th
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #5 - I'm not really sure what taking the googles off did for the group, so I'm not sure why that plot point was important. Which kind of makes the whole thing a little odd.
  • Aquaman #11 - This version of Aquaman is a bit of a jerk. I'm not sure what to make of his past team, yet. I hope I'll get a better idea of just who and what they are eventually.
  • Green Lantern #11 - I didn't care for Black Hand the first time, don't much care for him now. Pity he's back. I would have preferred... well, something interesting.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #11 - I really don't like Larfleeze, but I didn't think he was behind the whole thing. So imagine my surprise! Ahem. Despite myself, I'm getting into this book.
  • Superman Family Adventures #3 - Heh. Superman robots. Heh. Signal watch problems. Heh.
  • Aug 1st
  • Justice League International #12 - What, it's not over? Really? Hrm.
  • Earth Two #4 - Enter a new player. I think I don't like this version of the Atom, but I think we aren't supposed to just yet.
  • Worlds' Finest #4 - No answers, but I love the way Huntress handled the sailors. I'm liking her more and more as this goes on.
  • Smallville Season 11 #4 - Lex really is one sneaky jerk, isn't he. And... I didn't know there was an Earth-two for the Smallville universe, or an alternate Chloe (I couldn't tell it was her by the art, to be honest).
  • Muppets #2 - Touching story, and they try to get to music across... but without the tunes it's just poetry.
  • Love and Capes: What to Expect #1 - Eric's been wanting to try out this book, and I had no objections, so we've been ordering the mini. And it's pretty good. Nice and down-to-earth for a superhero-ish book.
  • Aug 8th
  • Resurrection Man #12 - That was NOT who I was expecting to see in that suit at the end. But then, it makes such perfect sense that I'm not sure why I didn't already figure it out. The zero issue is going to be interesting, if only to see which of my theories on this pans out.
  • Hoax Hunters #2 - Um, yikes? The notion that they are going to be able to keep this one under wraps seems to be stretching it, but then people believe what they want to believe.
  • Spongebob Comics #11 - This one is kind of gross. And no Mermaid Man, so I was a little disappointed.
  • Aug 15th
  • Green Lantern #12 - Um, really? Why do I have "Back in Black" going through my head?
  • Green Lantern Corps #12 - Not the most auspicious end to certain characters. As for the third army, I'm bored by it already.
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series #5 - Nice, I think. This isn't a bad book, but it does seem a little strange to me. Just two Green Lanterns... and a Red Lantern... and their magic ship... cruising the galaxy.
  • Saucer Country #6 - Cornell is a Fortean, which is where he gets all the great detail about UFO sightings. Good summary, too, even if I tend to think the Barney and Betty Hill experience has been thoroughly debunked. This is fiction, after all.
  • Peanuts V2 #1 - Some good stuff, some strange stuff. Not bad. I'm still amazed that anything not done by Schulz is even half as good as his, and this is better than half as good.



0 comments: