Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Sunday Review

Eric and I finished watching Doctor Who: Enemy of the World and I have to say, the penultimate episode was fantastic, built up a ton of tension and started tying plot threads together... but the final episode let the whole thing down a little. The horrible bomb wasn't really all that horrible, the deaths of a couple of characters went completely unremarked by anyone and I kept feeling like there was at least one plot thread completely missing. The absolute ending of the episode, in the TARDIS, almost made up for it. But it wasn't nearly as solid a finish as I would have hoped for such a strong story.

I also watched Doctor Who: Web of Fear, the other story that had most of the episodes recovered. The third episode was still a reconstruction, but the rest was just excellent all around. Driver Evans was a nice bit of comic relief... but also added to the tension with directing that sometimes made him look pretty sinister. I particularly enjoyed the Doctor's distress at the end. Although it was a victory, it wasn't the victory he wanted. That leads very nicely into the future, doesn't it? Or was it the past?



My library book this week was Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan. A young girl and her little brother living in the midwest are delighted when their father sends away for a bride. This was another one of those books that I've been meaning to read for a long time because it won the Newbery Medal and I was interested by what I heard about it. I enjoyed the read quite a bit. It seemed very short even for a children's book, but had some deep themes. It was deceptively simple on the surface. A pretty good book. I think maybe I should go back and read through more of the award winners in children's books.



0 comments: