Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Feb 5th
  • Forever Evil #5 - Batman is playing a dangerous game there... And Luthor is pushing the right buttons I guess. Black Manta does well.
  • Earth 2 #20 - I quite like the Earth 2 Aquawoman, even if she did hunt down a shell for Batman out of nowhere. I guess the smart guard survives a bit longer.
  • Green Lantern/Red Lanterns #28 - I'm not terribly interested in Red Lanterns, but it was kind of fun to see the connections with the greens and how the universe is running.
  • Twilight Zone #2 - Getting more interesting. I'm amused that he messed up his new life even worse than his old.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz #6 - I suppose this whole series would make more sense in the context of the GFT universe as a whole... maybe. Still, not a horrible telling of Oz. Just needs more clothing, and it would be fine.
  • Feb 12th
  • Justice League of America #12 - Stargirl and Martian Manhunter make a pretty good team, but I don't think they realize where they are.
  • Justice League 3000 #3 - Not really impressed with the book, the characters or the story.
  • Green Lantern Corps #28 - So. The GL Corps is at war. And Natu gets kidnapped. Ok. Next?
  • Smallville Alien #3 - This is so mixed up I'm not really sure what's supposed to be happening here at all.
  • Astro City #9 - I do like the new Confessor. He's just an awesome character from the get go. And I also loved the member of the Council of Nike. That's how to humble a superhero.
  • Steam Engines of Oz V2 #3 - I really *should* have seen that coming. In fact, I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't figure it out, because it was pretty obvious. Oh well. I wonder where Tip and Jack were headed.
  • Spongebob Comics #29 - As indicated by the great cover, this issue focuses on Sandy the Squirrel, and it's a decent one. No Mermaid Man, but we can't have everything.



My library/Kindle book this week was The International Bank of Bob: Connecting Our Worlds One $25 Kiva Loan at a Time by Bob Harris. Jeopardy champ and freelance writer Bob Harris travels to luxury hotels around the world for a series of articles, and decides he needs to do something to help people who were not as lucky in "the birth lottery" as him.

As a long-time Kiva lender, I came into this book thinking I knew a good portion of the story already. And true, I know enough about the system itself, but I didn't know all the details on how Kiva was formed. I didn't know about the early problems that caused the massive due diligence that lending companies go through now with Kiva. True, I didn't have $20,000 to loan, but I did put what I could into Kiva. As a result, I enjoyed reading about Bob's adventures going to actually meet a handful of the people he'd helped and finding out what that help means first-hand.

It's well worth reading whether you know about Kiva or not. In fact, I would really recommend just about everyone read this. It'll help restore faith in humanity and might even encourage you to start making some loans and helping people out.



0 comments: