Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Feb 19th
  • Justice League #28 - Origin of the Metal Men. Whee?
  • Trinity of Sin: Pandora #8 - I'm not really sure what Faust is up to, just that's it's not good. This appears to be a multi-book crossover, and I don't care for those, so I'll just be happy when it's over.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #28 - Who is good and who is bad here? And how is Kyle, of all creatures, supposed to be able to figure it out?
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked #2 - This is a goofy book, but fairly fun. The whole Lex plot was vaguely amusing, and there were a few good bits of story in there. I'm enjoying this one.
  • Batman Beyond Universe #7 - Bruce seems to be a bit off in this story, in judgement and in skills. In the Justice League story, I'm just really happy to see more of Aquaman. Whee!
  • Batman '66 #8 - I'm not a big fan of King Tut, and the Western story was a little sketchy for my artistic tastes. Not my favorites of this series so far.
  • Teen Titans Go #2 - First up, a reality show. Ug. Lots of in-jokes, but the whole premise was painful. Then Robin gets a cold after fighting Captain Cold. Nasty, snotty and brutal.
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #15 - The story of the Golden Cap is finally finished, but what's Dorothy going to do with that knowledge?
  • Fables #138 - All about Geppetto, who is still kind of up to his old tricks.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Tales from Oz #2 - Cowardly Lion - This isn't like any origin of the Cowardly Lion I know, but maybe my husband will have further insight into it when he reviews it on his Oz blog.
  • Feb 26th
  • Aquaman #28 - The high school reunion is awesome. The revelations about Arthur's youth growing up at the light house were fantastic. The bit with the dude stealing the trident... not so much. What he's doing with it... wha?
  • World's Finest #20 - Thanks to this being yet another annoying crossover, I missed the actual explanation of how the gals got with their counterparts. Or where they are. Enough context to get along, barely. Ug. I hate crossovers.
  • DC vs Masters of the Universe #5 - Well, I guess that's a better explanation than he was just tired of being a sidekick.
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #16 - Amelia? Really? Wow. This just took a turn for the even stranger.
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #2 - I feel for Mal. And that means that, to some extent, this is a pretty good book.
  • Three #5 - I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but that was considerably better than what I expected... Not entirely sure about the very end, though.
  • Sergio Aragones Funnies #12 - Final issue of the Bongo series, but Sergio promises more to come. I really enjoyed the Mifune story.
  • Peanuts V2 #16 - None of the stories really stand out, although the new shoes were amusing.
  • Legends of Red Sonja #4 - Taking them out one by one, some with violence, others with memories. I just have a feeling this revenge quest is going to fail.



0 comments: